The Student Room Group

Do you think the A level reforms are unfair?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alow
I would assume so, yes.

What about if the teacher likes you, despite your practical being bad they pass you.
Reply 21
Original post by Shazen
What about if the teacher likes you, despite your practical being bad they pass you.

I very much doubt that would happen. Anyway, it doesn't count towards your grade and as long as you are working safely there's no reason you shouldn't pass.
Original post by alow
I very much doubt that would happen. Anyway, it doesn't count towards your grade and as long as you are working safely there's no reason you shouldn't pass.

Yeah that's true. What did they do on your turn? As in, what kind of practical assessments did you have?
Reply 23
Original post by Shazen
Yeah that's true. What did they do on your turn? As in, what kind of practical assessments did you have?

Look at the specification for your course.
Original post by RedSquirrels
So you're saying that your predictions were more strenuously obtained, and that makes it unfair? Tbh I reckon you've done better, as your better prepared for the real thing. Anyway, who gives a s*** about predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Universities, for some courses predictions are the most important part of your application and therefore an be the difference between getting an offer and being rejected.
Original post by alow
Look at the specification for your course.

Ok thanks.
Original post by APersonYo
I had to study 3 AS levels;whereas my cousin was just set mocks for 2 of his subjects and his teachers told them what to study and as a result he had more time to study for his maths AS level. As a result, he got predicted A*AA. On the other hand, I didn't have as much time to study for my maths AS level, but I still gained my A* prediction in the subject. But I had to sit a real chemistry and biology AS to obtain my predictions which were incredibly more difficult.
That isn't the problem. The problem is the way that some school don't follow the linear route like they're supposed to. You didn't have to sit a real AS biology and chemistry, the school unfairly made you do it.
Reply 27
Original post by 04MR17
That isn't the problem. The problem is the way that some school don't follow the linear route like they're supposed to. You didn't have to sit a real AS biology and chemistry, the school unfairly made you do it.

They're very good preparation for the final A Level exams though.
Reply 28
It's fair for everyone who is actually taking the AS-levels but unfair in the sense that people who don't do them get ******** predictions. I know a school that used the actual AS exams as mocks a few weeks after the real thing...

As someone said earlier, some teachers would just tell the students of what topics to revise. People who did OCR Sciences this year will know about having to revise the whole textbook twice before each exam. It reminds me of GCSE controlled assessments, mostly fake and easy for anyone to cheat.
Reply 29
Original post by RedSquirrels
So you're saying that your predictions were more strenuously obtained, and that makes it unfair? Tbh I reckon you've done better, as your better prepared for the real thing. Anyway, who gives a s*** about predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I guess I am better prepared for the real thing.
Reply 30
Original post by aals
it's fair for everyone who is actually taking the as-levels but unfair in the sense that people who don't do them get ******** predictions. I know a school that used the actual as exams as mocks a few weeks after the real thing...

As someone said earlier, some teachers would just tell the students of what topics to revise. People who did ocr sciences this year will know about having to revise the whole textbook twice before each exam. It reminds me of gcse controlled assessments, mostly fake and easy for anyone to cheat.

thank youu literally meee
Original post by alow
Then his teachers have put him in a worse position as he won't be prepared for his exams next year. Predictions don't mean much if you screw up the real exams.

Most A Level sciences previously definitely had practicals, which you had to fill in a short exam which was marked (for 20% of your A Level). They were easy enough that if you spent half an hour studying for them it was basically easy full marks, if someone did poorly on them it was no one's fault but their own.

Predictions dont mean much? what about for getting offers and interviews lmao
Reply 32
Original post by corbynlover69

Did you even read the whole sentence?
Reply 33
Original post by corbynlover69

Yep, I'm struggling with getting my A prediction in biology;whereas my cousin has got it due to an easier mock.
Original post by alow
Did you even read the whole sentence?

yes getting an offer is the important part then if you do mess up your real exams and miss your offer by a grade you will prob still get a place
Completely agree with you
Original post by alow
They're very good preparation for the final A Level exams though.
Not when there are fundamental differences in course content (e.g. different texts in English etc.) and mocks are just as good preparation.
Reply 37
Original post by 04MR17
Not when there are fundamental differences in course content (e.g. different texts in English etc.) and mocks are just as good preparation.

I think the AS is slightly better preparation as the question style especially in biology has drastically changed and there are a lot more experiment questions than there were before. But you do raise a good point, it was quite unfair of the school, they could just stick to a linear system?
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't prefer them since they took out ums. Apparently 20 marks above the A grade boundary is still not good enough for an A* prediction. :angry:
It's better to get realistic predictions instead of eg. A*A*A* & applying to courses with v high requirements and then in the real thing only achieving ABB and not getting into uni at all.

Quick Reply

Latest