Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Would this count as extenuating circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to apply for graduate jobs but my grades are quite sub-par. My whole year failed their exams which is a total of 50 people and I got the "best grades" which in reality are very rubbish. I also never received my official certificate. Would this count as extenuating circumstances and how would I word this?
    There was also a bereavement during the year but I don't want to mention it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    why would you not want to mention bereavement as an extenuating circumstance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BerryLovx)
    Hi,

I want to apply for graduate jobs but my grades are quite sub-par. My whole year failed their exams which is a total of 50 people and I got the "best grades" which in reality are very rubbish. I also never received my official certificate. Would this count as extenuating circumstances and how would I word this?

Thanks
    To be honest, you should also state bereavement as an extenuating circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    why would you not want to mention bereavement as an extenuating circumstance?
    It sounds like a "sob story" but I have no other reason as to why my grades suck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BerryLovx)
    Hi,

Thanks
    Bereavement is a valid extenuating circumstance

Its balid, but it has more weight if it was immediate family such as sibling or parent.
    Extenuating circumstances are more the place to be pleaded before the exams.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.