Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Loughborough Sort and Exercise Science (Gymnastics pathway)?

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi, is there anybody on here who is taking/has taken the gymnastics pathway at Loughborough? I'm not sure whether to take this course or the normal sport and exercise science course and I'm wondering how similar they are.

The Sport and Exercise Science course includes:

Year 1

Students will take introductory modules in:

Physiology
    Biomechanics
    Motor Control
    Psychology
    Sociology
    Coaching and Pedagogy
    Physical Activity and Health
    Sport Management
    An additional module addressing the professional skills necessary for Sport and Exercise Sciences (e.g. IT, research training and design) will also be taken.

Year 2

A compulsory module to further develop your Scientific and Research Skills will be taken. You then select from a list of optional modules reflecting all the disciplines of Sport and Exercise Science, including, but not limited to:

Biomechanics of Sports Movements
    Exercise Biochemistry
    Exercise Physiology
    Managing Sports Organisations
    Physical Activity, Sedentary Behaviour and Health
    Sport Ideologies and Values
    Sport and Exercise Pedagogy
    Psychological Issues and Strategies in Sport
    Teaching and Coaching
    Modules up to 20 credits can be selected from outside the course.

Optional placement / study year

Professional placement and/or overseas study.

Final year

Students select options from modules available in a similar range of discipline areas to those outlined for Year 2. This includes 'Science and Elite Performance – An Integrated and Applied Perspective', which encourages students to foster a multi-disciplinary approach to understanding the contemporary scientific determinants of elite performance within a range of different sporting contexts.

You may also opt to undertake a substantial Research Project module that will involve investigating a sport and exercise science topic in which you have developed a particular interest.

Are many of these modules included in the gymnastics course or are the courses completely different?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am looking to do this course in 2017. When I went to the open day I asked a girl who was doing this gymnastics pathway, and she said that you do the same modules as the normal sport science course but when it comes to the 'option' modules they are mostly chosen for you as they are the gymnastics modules. And you do added modules on gymnastics too.
    Hope that helps, are you looking to apply for next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaidLeLeprechaun)
    Hi, is there anybody on here who is taking/has taken the gymnastics pathway at Loughborough? I'm not sure whether to take this course or the normal sport and exercise science course and I'm wondering how similar they are.

(Original post by Charlie1316)
    Hi, I am looking to do this course in 2017. When I went to the open day I asked a girl who was doing this gymnastics pathway, and she said that you do the same modules as the normal sport science course but when it comes to the 'option' modules they are mostly chosen for you as they are the gymnastics modules. And you do added modules on gymnastics too.
    Hope that helps, are you looking to apply for next year?
    Thanks Charlie1316 - couldn't have said it better myself
    Hope you enjoyed the Open Day and great that you're both looking to study here at Loughborough.

Vicky

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.