Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Is anyone studying the Psychology Conversion course? What are your future plans?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm starting the part-time Psychology conversion course at the University of Gloucestershire on Tuesday. At 34, I'm a mature student and have a Theology background. I'm really looking forward to starting and taking steps towards a career in Psychology. I got a 2:2 in my first degree and a merit in my postgrad certificate, but I'm hoping to get some relevant experience by volunteering for the Samaritans. My hope is to get a job as an Assistant Psychologist or work for a charity when I graduate and maybe one day complete the doctorate through the NHS.

I'd love to say hi to anyone else doing the same course, regardless of where, and to know your future plans!

ReputationRep:
    Hello sounds fun

What was your PgCert in? I also got a 2:2 at undergraduate because my focusses were elsewhere. I've got a lot more into studying since then.

I'm not actually doing a psychology conversion course at the moment. I was offered places from both Leeds Beckett and DMU but am unable to take them up at the moment for financial reasons. In a few years time though, it's on my bucket list to do some postgraduate study in psychology. I'm looking to just do a PgCert or PgDip in it though because I want to do the taught modules but not a dissertation (already got two other masters). I would like to study psychology both for my own interests and because I have an interest in teaching any subject I can grasp really.

Enjoy your course *

ReputationRep:
    Hello 🙂 It sounds like you've done loads already, but I know what you mean about studying for interest - it's like an itch until you do it!

My PGCert was in Catholic Applied Theology. I love Theology and would like to weave psychology and spirituality together more in my understanding of how we work as a whole being.

What were your Masters in?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Just wondering how you are finding the Gloucester course? I have been looking at the course and came across this thread, would love to know your experience so far if that's ok? thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    Hello 🙂 I sadly had to leave due to ill health, but there was a really good Welsh lecturer. He was very inspiring and humorous!

The campus is small, pretty, and easy to get around, with a pay and display or prepay car park quite close by.

Student Support and Disability Services were great - they gave me study tips and help if I'd have applied for DSA, and Admissions got me on last minute. Theyve even deferred me, but I doubt I'll have the strength to return.

There were other mature students and we were put with undergrads for some lectures, then MA students for seminars.

There was only one lecturer I didn't take to during a brief meeting but that was just personal really.

I liked it there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meljay)
    Hello 🙂 I sadly had to leave due to ill health, but there was a really good Welsh lecturer. He was very inspiring and humorous!

The campus is small, pretty, and easy to get around, with a pay and display or prepay car park quite close by.

Student Support and Disability Services were great - they gave me study tips and help if I'd have applied for DSA, and Admissions got me on last minute. Theyve even deferred me, but I doubt I'll have the strength to return.

There were other mature students and we were put with undergrads for some lectures, then MA students for seminars.

There was only one lecturer I didn't take to during a brief meeting but that was just personal really.

I liked it there!
    Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it, i am so sorry to hear that you had to withdraw from the course that's such a shame. I really hope at some point in the future you get to start again. Are you still thinking of doing clinical psych one day?

Its great to hear positive feedback about the course though. I am 30 and have been going back and forth about whether to pursue clinpsych or not. There are so many interesting psychology courses out there but sadly they are not bps accredited so it's good to hear the Gloucester one sounds interesting.

I would actually need DSA support, so that's great to hear they are supportive. I don't know health wise if i would be able to do it this year, i hope to but that's reassuring they sound so accommodating with students with disabilities.

Do you mind me asking how many days a week you were there part time? I would be getting the train so i am hoping one day a week!

Thank you so much for your help it is very much appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raglan86)
    Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it, i am so sorry to hear that you had to withdraw from the course that's such a shame. I really hope at some point in the future you get to start again. Are you still thinking of doing clinical psych one day?

Its great to hear positive feedback about the course though. I am 30 and have been going back and forth about whether to pursue clinpsych or not. There are so many interesting psychology courses out there but sadly they are not bps accredited so it's good to hear the Gloucester one sounds interesting.

I would actually need DSA support, so that's great to hear they are supportive. I don't know health wise if i would be able to do it this year, i hope to but that's reassuring they sound so accommodating with students with disabilities.

Do you mind me asking how many days a week you were there part time? I would be getting the train so i am hoping one day a week!

Thank you so much for your help it is very much appreciated x
    Well, I was there for two part days per week, and that was doing only one module in the first term. It was a 3 hour lecture followed by a seminar one day, if I remember correctly, then a short lecture on another day.

Yes, Disability Support were lovely.

I think my ship has sailed now. That was my last attempt - I'm now 35. I have CFS/ME and so wanted to do it, but even very part time didn't work out. If I miraculously got better, maybe...I'm not sure which route I'd have taken though. I'd get in touch with them as you can do one module a term to make it more manageable. I'm sure they'd help with how many hours per week it is. It's probably a nice quiet time to sound them out now.

So wish you luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meljay)
    Well, I was there for two part days per week, and that was doing only one module in the first term. It was a 3 hour lecture followed by a seminar one day, if I remember correctly, then a short lecture on another day.

Yes, Disability Support were lovely.

I think my ship has sailed now. That was my last attempt - I'm now 35. I have CFS/ME and so wanted to do it, but even very part time didn't work out. If I miraculously got better, maybe...I'm not sure which route I'd have taken though. I'd get in touch with them as you can do one module a term to make it more manageable. I'm sure they'd help with how many hours per week it is. It's probably a nice quiet time to sound them out now.

So wish you luck!
    Thank you so much for your reply it is very much appreciated.

I am so sorry things did not work out for you this time round. My sister has ME and had to give up her career as a teacher however over the years by slowly building back up her strength she is now back lecturing and about to do her msc part time at aged 38 to work towards becoming an edpsych. I know the condition is very different for each person but i really hope one day you will be able to pursue your dreams too.

I will get in touch with them, a flexible and understanding course is what i need so it sounds perfect. Thank you so much for your time and i wish you all the very best for your future x

ReputationRep:
    I can massively recommend distance learning postgraduate study. It's very compatible with ME because as long as you meet deadlines, everything is done in your own time.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.