Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to uni after i get my a level results and take a gap year, i do not want to apply for deferred entry, as my as results are bad and so is my predicted grades but i know i will get much better A2 grades, so my question is if i want to apply after results when do i do it? do you apply after the summer holiday in september/october then take the year off while waiting for the replies? or do you apply after you have taken the year off? im confused by this because the application deadlines are January so taking a year off and then applying would mean that you would have to spend 2 years out of education? someone pls explain this, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Apply straight after your results for the following September start (i.e. at the beginning of your gap year). Then you just have the one year out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunnyb)
    Apply straight after your results for the following September start (i.e. at the beginning of your gap year). Then you just have the one year out.
    ok thank you and since im not going to be stating that im doing a deferred entry on my application, how would i tell them that im doing a gap year, also a lot of people i see, talk about how they took a gap year, got loads of experience then applied? so does that mean that those people would have applied a year after and had to have spent another year out of education so two years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacob1371)
    ok thank you and since im not going to be stating that im doing a deferred entry on my application, how would i tell them that im doing a gap year, also a lot of people i see, talk about how they took a gap year, got loads of experience then applied? so does that mean that those people would have applied a year after and had to have spent another year out of education so two years?
    Well my daughter has just started her gap year and will be applying in the next couple of months to start September 2017. She's not started filling out the form yet but will probably put something in her statement about what she's doing now and what she plans to do through next year. I guess they can see you're taking a gap year just by the fact you've already got your results (and looking at the dates).

ReputationRep:
    Well my daughter has just started her gap year and will be applying in the next couple of months to start September 2017. She's not started filling out the form yet but will probably put something in her statement about what she's doing now and what she plans to do through next year. I guess they can see you're taking a gap year just by the fact you've already got your results (and looking at the dates).
    Also, maybe some people apply after the January deadline. They take a gap year and then decide to make a late application in the summer?

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot for the answer, much appreciated
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacob1371)
    I want to apply to uni after i get my a level results and take a gap year, i do not want to apply for deferred entry, as my as results are bad and so is my predicted grades but i know i will get much better A2 grades, so my question is if i want to apply after results when do i do it? do you apply after the summer holiday in september/october then take the year off while waiting for the replies? or do you apply after you have taken the year off? im confused by this because the application deadlines are January so taking a year off and then applying would mean that you would have to spend 2 years out of education? someone pls explain this, thankyou
    I'd strongly recommend applying this year for deferred entry while you're in sixth form and have support from your teachers. You can easily withdraw and reapply again after your results but that will mean you know more about how UCAS and applications work when you're applying away from the support of your sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I'd strongly recommend applying this year for deferred entry while you're in sixth form and have support from your teachers. You can easily withdraw and reapply again after your results but that will mean you know more about how UCAS and applications work when you're applying away from the support of your sixth form.
    the thing is, i dont want to take a gap year, but i have to because my AS was bad ( my subjects are all linear tho) and my predicted probably isnt that good, I will have support from my sixth form, after i leave my college, i was told this by my tutor as long as i tell them i can come back in for references and other things , i would only apply this year if my predicted is all As because i want to get into a good uni but i doubt that i will get those predictions. Im still trying to figure out want i really want to do and keep changing mind so that another factor, guess i will wait and see how my predictions are

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.