Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many puzzles can you do in 3 minutes? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How many of the puzzles below can you do in 3 minutes? You just have to figure out what pattern would go next in the sequence. Eg. For the first one, it'd be a down arrow. This is part of an experiment I am carrying out to do with how people do on these puzzles with music vs without; if you could try to do as many of them as you can in 3 minutes without music that'd be great, and type how many you managed to answer below. I have an idea of an average score so if an answer seems very out of the ordinary I will probably know it is not real and discard it. Thanks
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni12345678)
    How many of the puzzles below can you do in 3 minutes? You just have to figure out what pattern would go next in the sequence. Eg. For the first one, it'd be a down arrow. This is part of an experiment I am carrying out to do with how people do on these puzzles with music vs without; if you could try to do as many of them as you can in 3 minutes without music that'd be great, and type how many you managed to answer below. I have an idea of an average score so if an answer seems very out of the ordinary I will probably know it is not real and discard it. Thanks
    Gone through all but managed to get actual answers for 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Gone through all but managed to get actual answers for 18.
    Thanks that's useful

ReputationRep:
    All of them except no 8
    Spoiler:
    Show
    they're all very very similar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathMoFarah)
    All of them except no 8
    Spoiler:
    Show
    they're all very very similar
    Thank youu

ReputationRep:
    Thank youu
    Dont open if you haven't already had a go at the puzzles
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Out of interest what would you consider the solution to 8?

ReputationRep:
    Dont open if you haven't already had a go at the puzzles
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Out of interest what would you consider the solution to 8?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Same as box 1

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Same as box 1
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The lines move like a see-saw. Most ppl got the answer to that one, I know the reasoning is very abstract but they are abstract reasoning puzzles

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The lines move like a see-saw. Most ppl got the answer to that one, I know the reasoning is very abstract but they are abstract reasoning puzzles
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But you could equally consider it as a 'take every second one' solution and have the lines rotated from 3 another 45 degrees to form a straight line (which to me makes more sense than changing the direction of rotation (rules) from 3 to 4 - there are multiple solutions and therefore there is no correct solution

I was expecting an explanation where the process is singular and continuous

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But you could equally consider it as a 'take every second one' solution and have the lines rotated from 3 another 45 degrees to form a straight line (which to me makes more sense than changing the direction of rotation (rules) from 3 to 4 - there are multiple solutions and therefore there is no correct solution
    I get what you are saying but they are abstract so there are other answers for most of them; however general consensus usually gives us what can be deemed as the correct answer, especially in puzzles like this where speed is key.

ReputationRep:
    19 or maybe 18. Not sure on question 14 (the answer that should according to my logic follow looks kind of weird) and don't really have a clue on 17 (is it just box 1 again lol)

Spoiler:
    Show

I just saw it like this
    Spoiler:
    Show
    alternates between A and H, and then considering the As and the Hs they can both be thought to alternate between being the right way up and upside-down, noting that H is the same either way. So the last box should be an A, and it should be the right way up, i.e. same as first box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    19 or maybe 18. Not sure on question 14 (the answer that should according to my logic follow looks kind of weird) and don't really have a clue on 17 (is it just box 1 again lol)

I just saw it like this
    Spoiler:
    Show
    alternates between A and H, and then considering the As and the Hs they can both be thought to alternate between being the right way up and upside-down, noting that H is the same either way. So the last box should be an A, and it should be the right way up, i.e. same as first box.
    Thank you for doing the puzzles !
    Spoiler:
    Show
    On 14 the sum is read clockwise starting from top left. the top left number is the answer to the previous sum. The top right is always plus or minus and they alternate. The bottom right is double the number in the bottom right of the previous box.

On 17, look at the no of sides

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for doing the puzzles !
    Spoiler:
    Show
    On 14 the sum is read clockwise starting from top left. the top left number is the answer to the previous sum. The top right is always plus or minus and they alternate. The bottom right is double the number in the bottom right of the previous box.

On 17, look at the no of sides
    In that case I got 14 right yes. On 17...I cannot account for that derp lol. So yeah should be 19.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    All these puzzles are is just spotting patterns. so us maths students get the high scores

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.