Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Coughing flatmate

ReputationRep:
    I live in a block of flates at lincoln university. Things were fine one week in however one night I hear this loud coughing. It appeared to be coming directly from the floor above me (i was on ground floor). Now all I ever hear is this loud coughing every 1-2 minutes and it never goes. I hear it at 3pm 10 am and 11pm. I dont know if i should complain over what appears to be a petty issue and i doubt its his fault however it is driving me crazy and i cannot focus. What should I do? Please someone help.

ReputationRep:
    Get some ear plugs, they were a life saver for me at uni especially considering im such a light sleeper

ReputationRep:
    Just suck it up. It's a cough, it'll be gone in a week.

ReputationRep:
    Ear plugs and talk to people about it - ask if they're alright. On the other hand, you could catch the bad cough so be careful.

ReputationRep:
    what can you do? it's a cough, I doubt they can help it and I'm sure they'd prefer not to be coughing if it was possible... chances are at some point you will get a cough too

if they were in your flat I'd say offer to go get them some cough medicine/make lemon+honey but that would be a bit weird if they're the floor above!

just wait it out, coughs don't last forever

ReputationRep:
    You can't complain to anybody about another student in your building having a cough. What do you expect would happen? Do you think The Powers That Be would move you to different accommodation just because another occupant has a cold which is likely to last a week or two at most?

Don't be such a drip. Real life is very much like this. Get used to finding your own solutions to your own problems.

ReputationRep:
    There's a virus going around.
    Don't be such a meanie, if you want to solve it, go offer them some damn lemsip or soothers.

ReputationRep:
    It's student accommodation - you have no right to complain about noise of any type, let alone an innocent cough. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pseudomace)
    I live in a block of flates at lincoln university. Things were fine one week in however one night I hear this loud coughing. It appeared to be coming directly from the floor above me (i was on ground floor). Now all I ever hear is this loud coughing every 1-2 minutes and it never goes. I hear it at 3pm 10 am and 11pm. I dont know if i should complain over what appears to be a petty issue and i doubt its his fault however it is driving me crazy and i cannot focus. What should I do? Please someone help.
    Hello ,

I'd suggest looking for the person who lives above you and having a polite conversation with them about it - see if you can figure out what's going on. Or get some ear plugs or if there is a chat for your halls - attempt to use that or talk to your accommodation manager and see what they say.

Good luck

PS: I'm a Bishop Grosseteste in Lincoln! Nice to see somewhere on here from the local area!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    It's student accommodation - you have no right to complain about noise of any type, let alone an innocent cough. Get over it.
    Calm down Rita wills.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.