Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I live in a block of flates at lincoln university. Things were fine one week in however one night I hear this loud coughing. It appeared to be coming directly from the floor above me (i was on ground floor). Now all I ever hear is this loud coughing every 1-2 minutes and it never goes. I hear it at 3pm 10 am and 11pm. I dont know if i should complain over what appears to be a petty issue and i doubt its his fault however it is driving me crazy and i cannot focus. What should I do? Please someone help.

ReputationRep:
    Get some ear plugs, they were a life saver for me at uni especially considering im such a light sleeper

ReputationRep:
    Just suck it up. It's a cough, it'll be gone in a week.

ReputationRep:
    Ear plugs and talk to people about it - ask if they're alright. On the other hand, you could catch the bad cough so be careful.

ReputationRep:
    what can you do? it's a cough, I doubt they can help it and I'm sure they'd prefer not to be coughing if it was possible... chances are at some point you will get a cough too

if they were in your flat I'd say offer to go get them some cough medicine/make lemon+honey but that would be a bit weird if they're the floor above!

just wait it out, coughs don't last forever

ReputationRep:
    You can't complain to anybody about another student in your building having a cough. What do you expect would happen? Do you think The Powers That Be would move you to different accommodation just because another occupant has a cold which is likely to last a week or two at most?

Don't be such a drip. Real life is very much like this. Get used to finding your own solutions to your own problems.

ReputationRep:
    There's a virus going around.
    Don't be such a meanie, if you want to solve it, go offer them some damn lemsip or soothers.

ReputationRep:
    It's student accommodation - you have no right to complain about noise of any type, let alone an innocent cough. Get over it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pseudomace)
    I live in a block of flates at lincoln university. Things were fine one week in however one night I hear this loud coughing. It appeared to be coming directly from the floor above me (i was on ground floor). Now all I ever hear is this loud coughing every 1-2 minutes and it never goes. I hear it at 3pm 10 am and 11pm. I dont know if i should complain over what appears to be a petty issue and i doubt its his fault however it is driving me crazy and i cannot focus. What should I do? Please someone help.
    Hello ,

I'd suggest looking for the person who lives above you and having a polite conversation with them about it - see if you can figure out what's going on. Or get some ear plugs or if there is a chat for your halls - attempt to use that or talk to your accommodation manager and see what they say.

Good luck

PS: I'm a Bishop Grosseteste in Lincoln! Nice to see somewhere on here from the local area!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    It's student accommodation - you have no right to complain about noise of any type, let alone an innocent cough. Get over it.
    Calm down Rita wills.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.