LSE Low Entry Requirements

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at the entry requirements for LSE for maths related degrees and I found they are very low compared to the other target universities such as Oxbridge and Warwick.

Warwick and Oxbridge require A*A*A plus further tests however LSE only require A*AA/AAA. Is it easier to get into LSE? If LSE is so good for IB why doesn't everyone go into LSE as the entry requirements are so much lower.

Am I missing something or is it really that easy to get into LSE compared to the other targets?

ReputationRep:
    Ugh

Offer grade =/= how easy it is to get an offer in the first place
    LSE Maths is said to be easier than the others and is more statistically oriented

With your logic, Oxford Law should be piss easy to get into because it only requires AAA

Don't judge the difficulty of a course only by its entry requirements. The PS and average grades of the other applicants are a much better start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Ugh

LSE Maths is said to be easier than the others and is more statistically oriented

With your logic, Oxford Law should be piss easy to get into because it only requires AAA

Don't judge the difficulty of a course only by its entry requirements. The PS and average grades of the other applicants are a much better start.
    What is the point of the university making the entry requirements so low when they are only going to except much higher grades? Or do they look for things such as extra curricula activities more than those top grades?

What does PS mean and how would one find the average grades of other applicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22chicken)
    I was looking at the entry requirements for LSE for maths related degrees and I found they are very low compared to the other target universities such as Oxbridge and Warwick.

Warwick and Oxbridge require A*A*A plus further tests however LSE only require A*AA/AAA. Is it easier to get into LSE? If LSE is so good for IB why doesn't everyone go into LSE as the entry requirements are so much lower.

Am I missing something or is it really that easy to get into LSE compared to the other targets?
    They may have more applicants per place as a result, hence the PS may have more weighting for LSE.

Imperial is probably better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Ugh

He never said it was "easy" to get into, he said it was "easier". No one is stating that A*AA/AAA is easy.

It's subjective on whether getting an offer is more difficult than meeting one. Sure, getting an AAA offer from Oxford is difficult, but meeting an A*A*A offer from Warwick/Imperial/Oxbridge in maths with a 1 In STEP paper is arguably harder, once you've gotten an offer.

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of the university making the entry requirements so low when they are only going to except much higher grades? Or do they look for things such as extra curricula activities more than those top grades?

What does PS mean and how would one find the average grades of other applicants?
    Because they want to attract students who don't feel comfortable applying to, or firming, a course with A*A*A with 1,1 offer? Oxford's been doing this for quite a while - many of its courses ask for a grade lower than the equivalent one at Cambridge.

A P.S. is a personal statement, and you can find the average grades of applicants to some courses by finding or submitting a Freedom of Information (FOI) request. Bear in mind that the information submitted on these is not very well arranged sometimes and can be difficult to interpret.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    He never said it was "easy" to get into, he said it was "easier". No one is stating that A*AA/AAA is easy.

It's subjective on whether getting an offer is more difficult than meeting one. Sure, getting an AAA offer from Oxford is difficult, but meeting an A*A*A offer from Warwick/Imperial/Oxbridge in maths with a 1 In STEP paper is arguably harder, once you've gotten an offer.
    Actually, OP made the mistake of saying "is it really that easy to get into LSE compared to the other targets?", without necessarily specifying the exact course he was referring to. All things being equal, I'd obviously agree that getting into a "pure" (BA/MMath) Maths course at Cambridge/Warwick is harder than getting into a "Maths with/and xyz" degree at LSE. However, the point is that these are two different degrees with slightly different modules and directions (for example, the Maths and Econ degree at LSE is 50% of both disciplines), so they are not immediately comparable.

I think that, statistically speaking, you can measure the relative difficulty of getting an offer and actually meeting its grades with a fair amount of accuracy. The former can be quantified through the offer rate, the average grade of applicants, where they're applying from, and whether the uni has any exams/interviews in place. The latter can be measured through the number of offer holders who firm and meet their offer, when measured against the % of students nationwide who achieved those grades. My point is, while the difficulty does indeed come down to the individual's strengths and weaknesses (such as interviewing well but being **** at STEP), on an aggregate level, one can indeed determine whether a course is harder or easier to get into by looking at the stage at which the majority of applicants didn't get in (i.e. before or after getting an offer). Hence, at least on that front, it isn't that subjective at all.

However, I think that my original point (that using the offer grades of a course as the sole indicator of the difficulty of getting in is crude and possibly inaccurate, as the OP did) still stands.

ReputationRep:
    Just because the entry requirements say A*AA doesn't mean you can just get an offer with an A*AA prediction since so many applicants will exceed this and there is quite a lot of competition for places.

ReputationRep:

Another point to be noted is whilst the LSE entry requirements seem "easier" they are relatively good grades and many many students still find it difficult to meet their offer (a very small percentage attain 3A*s or whatever- maybe they're trying to be realistic). Moreover, not everyone takes the same A levels, so although there may be a requirement for say Maths, someone may have taken two 'easier' options for their A levels, just may be a way of levelling the playing field. They might even want all rounded students who are academic but also involved with the community. Another point to note, just because you achieve 3A*s, doesn't guarantee a smart, open-minded student. I have come across very dry/dull students who can memorise their way to high 40s (I did the IB) but cannot sustain a very intellectual conversation. Also as many people mentioned, they might just be encouraging people to apply with diverse academic backgrounds.
    And who knows, maybe the LSE course is slightly less demanding than the Warwick ones, unlikely but possible.

These are all guesses i dont actually know lmao and you could apply these arguments to any uni tbh

ReputationRep:
    lse is so much harder to get an offer from. warwick not on same level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    lse is so much harder to get an offer from. warwick not on same level
    what do you mean by warwick is not on the same level?

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by warwick is not on the same level?
    The admission process is easier, because the majority do indeed receive offers. Furthermore, at top tier universities grades are usually redundant, since most get them. The hard part is to differentiate yourself, because there are a lot of individuals who are intellectually dry and lack rigor, yet manage to get stellar grades because they work extremely hard (that's me). So in this case, grades form a very small proportion of ones ability to get an offer since they assume everyone will get the grades. This can be illustrated with A&F at LSE with AAA, yet a 14% offer rate. Hope this can provide some of you with some clarity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying a masters at LSE in mathematics at the moment and what I covered in undergraduate at Warwick indeed far surpasses some of what I've encountered at a postgraduate level here. Although, you have to appreciate that Warwick is very focused on pure mathematics and is quite strong in that area.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.