Lonely but no time to meet anyone

Announcements

I'm in my first year of teaching after my PGCE, and since the start of term I've been working constantly.. I probably work more than 50 hours per week, including weekends.

Evenings, I nap, then work more, Friday nights I just sleep as I'm knackered, and then the weekend I have time to do a bit of shopping, sport, cleaning, and then catch up with a friend or something then the rest of it is work.

I have just got no time at all to meet anyone. I've tried dating sites in the past but I really don't like them; I understand that they work really well for some people but I didn't enjoy them, so don't fancy signing up again.

I'm just a bit fed-up, I am pretty lonely and fear that this is going to be it from now on.. Does anyone else feel the same? Maybe I'll just have to wait until the holidays, when I'll have more time to go out and meet people..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in my first year of teaching after my PGCE, and since the start of term I've been working constantly.. I probably work more than 50 hours per week, including weekends.

Evenings, I nap, then work more, Friday nights I just sleep as I'm knackered, and then the weekend I have time to do a bit of shopping, sport, cleaning, and then catch up with a friend or something then the rest of it is work.

I have just got no time at all to meet anyone. I've tried dating sites in the past but I really don't like them; I understand that they work really well for some people but I didn't enjoy them, so don't fancy signing up again.

I'm just a bit fed-up, I am pretty lonely and fear that this is going to be it from now on.. Does anyone else feel the same? Maybe I'll just have to wait until the holidays, when I'll have more time to go out and meet people..
    Try to cut down the timing, that should reduce the pressure.
    https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-wo...hours/overview You should not be working more than 48 hours a week, home included. Try to knock down to reasonable hours like 40... even if that means going to another teaching job. Or maybe cut down on the marking, or try to challange yourself on marking maybe that'll cut down the timing dramatically if thats the main issue.

I feel a bit like you sometime, I'm 20 and have only a part time job, 5 hours a day but when I'm not working I'm in the house looking after my gran who is really old now so I never get out and when I do have spare time I just tend to catch up on sleep.

I know some folk will say work less but if youve got work to be done then I guess it has to be done. You could maybe try online friends, like through twitter. Ive got a few twitter friends who I have never met but talk to a lot and genuinely do care for them. We even have made plans to meet one day, and I really believe we will once I do get more time. It just helps and doesnt make you feel as alone.

Also do you not have family? Maybe you can have them over every so often just for a wee chat or go see them/?

ReputationRep:
    I felt the same way last year. I was so focused on my studies I didn't have the time to meet people or hang out with friends, and if I had it, I was so tired it was difficult to enjoy my time with them.

Once I finished, I wanted to take advantage of the summer but I was so exhausted that I didn't feel like going out too much. I still don't feel like it lol.

Try to take it the easiest you can. It doesn't matter if you don't go out in a week, but make sure you have someone to talk to at least (even someome from the internet). Use every chance you may have to go out (do the shopping, take a longer way home, etc). That would make you feel a little better and not so locked because of your work.

Hard work is always paid off, but don't forget you're human too. I forgot it for a while last year, and I regret it almost every day.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with prioritizing your tasks and cutting your hours.
    http://www.creativitypost.com/create...k_productivity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Try to cut down the timing, that should reduce the pressure.
    https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-wo...hours/overview Try to knock down to reasonable hours like 40... even if that means going to another teaching job. Or maybe cut down on the marking, or try to challange yourself on marking maybe that'll cut down the timing dramatically if thats the main issue.
    Absolutely no chance of doing that as a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Absolutely no chance of doing that as a teacher.
    I'm sure there are ways.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.