University of Birmingham A100 Medicine 2017

Announcements
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Hey

    I couldn't find a thread for A100 entry for 2017 so here it is officially

    Birmingham are very GCSE heavy, with it being a 70% focus, and the UKACT making up the remainder 30%

    It is also one of the only universities which provide an offer calculator to check if you are eligible for the course and your likelihood of getting an interview. The calculator also generates a score which the university uses to rank candidates, make a cut-off and send out calls for interview.

    I know the 2015 cut-off was 6.17, and my score was 7.667 so Birmingham is one of my definite choices

    Feel free to post your scores or your views of the university. Hopefully some current students will come along too!
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aRandomGuy)
    Hey

    I couldn't find a thread for A100 entry for 2017 so here it is officially

    Birmingham are very GCSE heavy, with it being a 70% focus, and the UKACT making up the remainder 30%

    It is also one of the only universities which provide an offer calculator to check if you are eligible for the course and your likelihood of getting an interview. The calculator also generates a score which the university uses to rank candidates, make a cut-off and send out calls for interview.

    I know the 2015 cut-off was 6.17, and my score was 7.667 so Birmingham is one of my definite choices

    Feel free to post your scores or your views of the university. Hopefully some current students will come along too!
    Hello! I've applied to Birmingham.
    I applied because I wanted a "safe" choice (in terms of interviews) - my score is 9.667 so I thought I would be, er, quite likely to get an interview!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    Hello! I've applied to Birmingham.
    I applied because I wanted a "safe" choice (in terms of interviews) - my score is 9.667 so I thought I would be, er, quite likely to get an interview!
    I think you're as close as you can get without saying 'guaranteed'

    My UKCAT lets me down, I only managed to average 630, Band 2. 8A*s 2As at GCSE however which brings me up. Hoping it acts in my favour

    Any idea what the 2016 cut-off was? The 2015 one was 6.17 which is what I'm applying on...
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aRandomGuy)
    I think you're as close as you can get without saying 'guaranteed'

    My UKCAT lets me down, I only managed to average 630, Band 2. 8A*s 2As at GCSE however which brings me up. Hoping it acts in my favour

    Any idea what the 2016 cut-off was? The 2015 one was 6.17 which is what I'm applying on...
    There's this score calculator spreadsheet that says it was 6.17 for "selection for interview in 2015-16", so I think that figure is actually for 2016 entry I spoke to an admissions tutor at the open day who quoted around that figure too. But I think you'll almost certainly be fine with that score, I can't see it jumping that much!
    Ah that's a bummer - UKCAT is so silly, there's just no strong evidence that it selects good doctors!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    There's this score calculator spreadsheet that says it was 6.17 for "selection for interview in 2015-16", so I think that figure is actually for 2016 entry I spoke to an admissions tutor at the open day who quoted around that figure too. But I think you'll almost certainly be fine with that score, I can't see it jumping that much!
    Ah that's a bummer - UKCAT is so silly, there's just no strong evidence that it selects good doctors!
    That makes so much sense considering Birmingham first used the UKCAT in the 2015-16 cycle - its just that the way they phrase it on the offer calculator sounds like they decided not to reveal the 2016 cut-off, which is exactly the same thing

    Ah thanks, I hope it doesn't jump massively since I'm using Birmingham as a back-up
 
 
 
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.