Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Probability Question GCSE Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi could someone explain to me how this answer is correct

Q2 If the probability of spinning red on a spinner is 1 – 3x, find the probability of spinning any colour except red.

answer = 3x but I don't understand how

thanks

ReputationRep:
    The probability of 1 includes red and every other colour.
    So if you do 1-Probability(Red), then the rest of the colours probability can be given.
    1-(1-3x) =
    1-1= 0
    You have a "-" outside the bracket and inside the bracket. Two minuses make a plus. So --3x is 3x.
    Therefore your answer is 3x
    Hope I was clear enough, please ask more questions if I wasn't clear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    The probability of 1 includes red and every other colour.
    So if you do 1-Probability(Red), then the rest of the colours probability can be given.
    1-(1-3x) =
    1-1= 0
    You have a "-" outside the bracket and inside the bracket. Two minuses make a plus. So --3x is 3x.
    Therefore your answer is 3x
    Hope I was clear enough, please ask more questions if I wasn't clear
    Still a bit lost if you do 1-(1-3x) and that is the same as 1-1

so does that mean that 1-3x is equal to 1 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samaad1)
    Still a bit lost if you do 1-(1-3x) and that is the same as 1-1

so does that mean that 1-3x is equal to 1 ?
    Ok so it's like this. When you do 1( which is the total probability of red and all colours) - probability of red, then you get the probability of the rest. You know red has a probability of 1-3x.
    So take 1-3x from the total probability which is 1.
    1- (1-3x)
    1-1 is 0.
    Since the 1 has been sorted out, you only have the --3x left which is 3x. You got to work on the bracket in steps

Zacken will probably explain a lot better!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok so it's like this. When you do 1( which is the total probability of red and all colours) - probability of red, then you get the probability of the rest. You know red has a probability of 1-3x.
    So take 1-3x from the total probability which is 1.
    1- (1-3x)
    1-1 is 0.
    Since the 1 has been sorted out, you only have the --3x left which is 3x. You got to work on the bracket in steps

still very confused of how can 1-3x be equal to 1

ReputationRep:
    Hi could someone explain to me how this answer is correct

Q2 If the probability of spinning red on a spinner is 1 – 3x, find the probability of spinning any colour except red.

answer = 3x but I don't understand how

thanks
    Let's say the probability of getting a red is r, then the probability of getting a blue is b, green is g, etc... do the same for every single colour. Now you know that you spinning the spinner means you must land on some colour. So the probability that you get a colour is 1. But that's the same as saying that the sum of the probabilites of getting red, green, blue, etc.. add up to 1.

So r + b + g + \cdots  = 1. Now, for you not to get a red means that you must get a blue or green or yellow or whatvever. Which is the probability of getting one of every single colour minus the probability of getting a red.

So since the probability of getting any colour is 1, then you subtract the probability of getting a red to get the probability of not getting a red. This is 1 - r.

In your case, r = 1-3x so you do 1 - (1-3x) = \underbrace{1 - 1}_{=0} -- 3x = 3x. We are not saying that 1 - 3x = 1. We are saying that 1 - (1-3x) = 3x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Let's say the probability of getting a red is r, then the probability of getting a blue is b, green is g, etc... do the same for every single colour. Now you know that you spinning the spinner means you must land on some colour. So the probability that you get a colour is 1. But that's the same as saying that the sum of the probabilites of getting red, green, blue, etc.. add up to 1.

So r + b + g + \cdots  = 1. Now, for you not to get a red means that you must get a blue or green or yellow or whatvever. Which is the probability of getting one of every single colour minus the probability of getting a red.

So since the probability of getting any colour is 1, then you subtract the probability of getting a red to get the probability of not getting a red. This is 1 - r.

In your case, r = 1-3x so you do 1 - (1-3x) = \underbrace{1 - 1}_{=0} -- 3x = 3x. We are not saying that 1 - 3x = 1. We are saying that 1 - (1-3x) = 3x.
    thank you I think I fully understand now

ReputationRep:
    thank you I think I fully understand now
    No problem, give MezmorisedPotato his fair share of credit as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No problem, give MezmorisedPotato his fair share of credit as well
    yup I repped him

ReputationRep:
    yup I repped him
    Awesome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.