Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

im paranoid i will get diabetes and high cholesterol Watch

Announcements

Hello, i'm a bit overweight and i sometimes i eat sugary foods but not that much and my great grandma has diabetes. And in my family my great grandma,grandma and my mom have problems with cholesterol but this is not really due to diet but the bad cholesterol that can get passed down in the family. Im starting to get paranoid especially about getting diabetes as i think i might be having some of the symptoms like fatigue, and needing to sleep more but for all i know i might be just paranoid. Anyone else scared about having diabetes or high cholesterol.

ReputationRep:
    Have a talk with your GP about your concerns.

If you want to prevent the onset of diabetes, regular exercise, stopping smoking and eating a good diet eg low in fat and sugar will help.
    If you notice symptoms such as fatigue, having to go to the toilet often or even really thirsty then definitely go to your GP

i have all three of these symptoms what does this mean
    (Original post by Mrs House)
    Have a talk with your GP about your concerns.

If you want to prevent the onset of diabetes, regular exercise, stopping smoking and eating a good diet eg low in fat and sugar will help.
    If you notice symptoms such as fatigue, having to go to the toilet often or even really thirsty then definitely go to your GP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i have all three of these symptoms what does this mean
    As Mrs House said it means go to your GP. TSR is a forum, largely populated by students. You won't get professional help here. If you have health concerns go see a doctor. The symptoms mentioned can be caused by all sorts of things and getting a proper diagnosis requires you to go see a doctor. Simple as that.

(Original post by Acsel)
    As Mrs House said it means go to your GP. TSR is a forum, largely populated by students. You won't get professional help here. If you have health concerns go see a doctor. The symptoms mentioned can be caused by all sorts of things and getting a proper diagnosis requires you to go see a doctor. Simple as that.
    Words of comfort would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, you probably won't get that.

I can be 'nice' to you or I can be honest with you.

The cholesterol problems in your family may well be genetic and not weight related, but being overweight definitely won't help. I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings or make you feel bad. I'VE been overweight - it's horrible and I wouldn't go back to that again.

If you want to lessen your chances of getting diabetes I would change your food habits bit by bit. DON'T go cold turkey and stop having all your favourite foods or you'll just be miserable for another reason. I've finally hit my goal weight but I still have hot chocolate, pizza and crisps (my favourites).

I would go on to the NHS website and look up the symptoms for diabetes and cholesterol problems. If you feel like you have them then I'd see a GP and get something sorted out while you can. As fabulous as Ben and Jerry's is, I'd say it's not worth injections every day for the rest of your life and every other crappy thing that comes with diabetes/poor health.

ReputationRep:
    That's not going to help you though. I could tell you that it'll all be fine and that you have nothing to worry about. You become complacent and end up suffering with diabetes.

If I had some sort of medical qualification then maybe I'd be better qualified to offer advice and guidance. But even then you shouldn't be looking to random people on the internet, especially a student forum where most people don't have qualifications or experience, for advice on anything medical.

As much as you might want to hear words of comfort, that's not going to help you. If there's some sort of medical condition you might be at risk of do you really want people saying "Don't worry, it'll be fine" instead of telling you to get yourself healthy?

Of to put it another way, if you found a lump would you want people saying "Don't worry, it won't be cancer, just ignore it" or do you want people encouraging you to go to a doctor and get it checked to be sure?

I'm not qualified to offer any sort of advice on anything medical and trying to do so would not only be a misuse of my right to be online but could also be detrimental to your health. I don't know what I'm talking about so I can't offer comfort. What I can offer is general advice. Go see a doctor. The biggest comfort is knowing what your situation is and what you can do about it. You'll get a far more qualified opinion than you'll find here. Not going to the doctor is effectively ignoring the problem that you're so paranoid about.

(Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    Sadly, you probably won't get that.

I can be 'nice' to you or I can be honest with you.

The cholesterol problems in your family may well be genetic and not weight related, but being overweight definitely won't help. I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings or make you feel bad. I'VE been overweight - it's horrible and I wouldn't go back to that again.

If you want to lessen your chances of getting diabetes I would change your food habits bit by bit. DON'T go cold turkey and stop having all your favourite foods or you'll just be miserable for another reason. I've finally hit my goal weight but I still have hot chocolate, pizza and crisps (my favourites).

I would go on to the NHS website and look up the symptoms for diabetes and cholesterol problems. If you feel like you have them then I'd see a GP and get something sorted out while you can. As fabulous as Ben and Jerry's is, I'd say it's not worth injections every day for the rest of your life and every other crappy thing that comes with diabetes/poor health.
    But the thing is I dont eat crisps, or drink fizzy drinks only an occasional treat. i think i might have thyroid problems though.

ReputationRep:
    But the thing is I dont eat crisps, or drink fizzy drinks only an occasional treat. i think i might have thyroid problems though.
    Well, for me it was salty foods but everyone's different

The best advice I can give you is to wait for those results. Are you a male or a female? (this does actually matter, not being nosy)

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm a bit overweight and i sometimes i eat sugary foods but not that much and my great grandma has diabetes. And in my family my great grandma,grandma and my mom have problems with cholesterol but this is not really due to diet but the bad cholesterol that can get passed down in the family. Im starting to get paranoid especially about getting diabetes as i think i might be having some of the symptoms like fatigue, and needing to sleep more but for all i know i might be just paranoid. Anyone else scared about having diabetes or high cholesterol.
    Start exercising loads is my advice!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.