Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics' course at UOB

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for 2017 entry and I've always had in my head I was going to do Physics. However I have recently came across the 'Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics' course at UOB. Does anybody know more about what this course entails and possible career opportunities from it?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacklfc99)
    I'm applying for 2017 entry and I've always had in my head I was going to do Physics. However I have recently came across the 'Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics' course at UOB. Does anybody know more about what this course entails and possible career opportunities from it?
    Thanks.
    The course is physics and maths joint honors, so you'll be doing as much maths as physics, and without a lot of the experimental work you'd do in a normal physics degree. Only do it if you really enjoy maths for its own sake, not just as a tool in physics- I think many of the people taking it considered doing a maths degree.

Have a look at this for Birmmingham- it gives an overview of all their physics courses. Pages 24 to 27 shows you a detailed breakdown of what modules are only done in some courses, so you can see the difference. I don't think the career prospects would be significantly different compared to a normal physics course- just do what seems the most interesting to you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    You will study both Physics and Maths. If it was a single degree I.e. Physics you would do this in more detail but Theoretical Physics and Maths is studied equally not as much detail but you will have a broad range as you will also be studying maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shazen)
    You will study both Physics and Maths. If it was a single degree I.e. Physics you would do this in more detail but Theoretical Physics and Maths is studied equally not as much detail but you will have a broad range as you will also be studying maths.
    Does that mean it would broaden career opportunities? And also does that mean if a potential career arose I would be at a disadvantage only studying half of what would have been studied in a Physics or a Maths degree? Also, is there a career adhered to both Physics and Maths that this degree would be ideal for?
    Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean it would broaden career opportunities? And also does that mean if a potential career arose I would be at a disadvantage only studying half of what would have been studied in a Physics or a Maths degree? Also, is there a career adhered to both Physics and Maths that this degree would be ideal for?
    Much appreciated.
    Yes, this will broaden your opportunities. You will have a disadvantage of not having the depth in one subject alone. If you went in Theoretical Physics it will be better for you because you have a joint degree in Maths as well in which Physics contains a lot of maths.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this will broaden your opportunities. You will have a disadvantage of not having the depth in one subject alone. If you went in Theoretical Physics it will be better for you because you have a joint degree in Maths as well in which Physics contains a lot of maths.
    My firm and insurance choices are looking to be Oxford and Birmingham (however I am unsure which way around yet!), would the career opportunities from doing a fourth year MMathPhys from Oxford equate to those from this course at Birmingham in any way? Because I want to have some involvement with Maths as well as Physics alone.

ReputationRep:
    My firm and insurance choices are looking to be Oxford and Birmingham (however I am unsure which way around yet!), would the career opportunities from doing a fourth year MMathPhys from Oxford equate to those from this course at Birmingham in any way? Because I want to have some involvement with Maths as well as Physics alone.
    Physics from Oxford would be more prestigious by doing a Physics degree alone it can show that you have good mathematical capability as most of the course consists of maths. It's up to you what you want to do doing a joint degree will have more work.

ReputationRep:
    Physics from Oxford would be more prestigious by doing a Physics degree alone it can show that you have good mathematical capability as most of the course consists of maths. It's up to you what you want to do doing a joint degree will have more work.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    Anytime!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.