Turn on thread page Beta

Holiday jobs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My 1st year of uni finished on the 16th of June, giving me a 16 week holiday. This sounded great on paper but I began to get bored even after 3 weeks. My plan had always been to go back to work at my local Somerfield, but I missed the boat this time, as by the time I rang up, the manager said he'd already been inundated with students. I spent the next 5 weeks checking and rechecking the jobcentre website for any available labour, so that I could quell my boredom and earn some money, but each time I would be outcompeted by masses of students doing the same thing.

I'd almost resigned myself to spending the 2nd 8 weeks doing nothing but waiting for term to start again. Then yesterday I managed to get a job at Jessops working 40 hours a week. This is great for me, and on my 1st day 6 students phoned up asking about the job, which I guiltily had to tell them had been taken.

What's everyone elses attitude to summer jobs? Do you find them easy to get or not, or do some of you not contemplate working in your holiday from studying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a hell of a time finding a temporary summer job. Luckily I've been able to go away with the company who I used to work with to help set-up some new shops, but I've been so bored the rest of the time. I've handed in numerous application forms, CV's and I've phoned almost every shop, supermarket etc. in the town where I live and the nearest city. I have had a couple of interviews but they hadn't read my CV properly because once they found out I was looking for temporary work they weren't interested. I've also signed up with 2 temping agencies but no luck so far...

I'm planning on going back to Reading at the end of the month to go on a job hunt for when I go back to uni...

Congratulations on finding a job btw

ReputationRep:
    I've given up on finding a Summer job (partially due to laziness). There's only so many times you can be rejected by Tesco's, and I feel I have reached my limit.

ReputationRep:
    Been looking since like April now, and still...NOTHING! Applied for probably over 100 jobs - online, handed CVs in, phoned up etc. And after all that I've had just one interview. ONE. And as I'm sure you can guess, I didnt get that...its SO frustrating, man!!! They dont hire you because you haven't got any experience - but then how the hell can you get experience, if no-one hires you?! lol, thank god for EMA...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    if you apply early, have a decent looking cv and apply everywhere you should get a job. join loads of agencies as well and they have good temp jobs for the summer that pay well. remember to fill in a P38 so you don't get taxed.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.