Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Do JD Whetherspoons actually contact your referees?

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing out my application form for Whetherspoons and it states that a referee is needed, however they won't be contacted unless you receive an offer for the job. Having never actually had a job before, I don't really have anybody who's details I could write down. The only person I can think of is a teacher from my sixth form who wrote out a reference for me for volunteering within the NHS and I don't particularly want to go and ask her to be a referee yet again for a job that has nothing to do with school (if that makes any sense) however, if I were to just write down the details she provided on the other form - would Whetherspoons contact her? I just don't want her to get an email/phonecall (especially while teaching a lesson) and her then being annoyed because I didn't check with her lol, however if they don't contact referees it should be fine. So yeah, do Whetherspoons actually check up on the referees?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how many apply for the job but it's likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdotd)
    Depends on how many apply for the job but it's likely.
    Ahh okay, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    your teacher won't mind, it's pretty normal for them to get referee requests for a while as people won't have them from elsewhere until they've had a job

could your volunteering supervisor give you a reference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellowjoker)
    I'm writing out my application form for Whetherspoons and it states that a referee is needed, however they won't be contacted unless you receive an offer for the job. Having never actually had a job before, I don't really have anybody who's details I could write down. The only person I can think of is a teacher from my sixth form who wrote out a reference for me for volunteering within the NHS and I don't particularly want to go and ask her to be a referee yet again for a job that has nothing to do with school (if that makes any sense) however, if I were to just write down the details she provided on the other form - would Whetherspoons contact her? I just don't want her to get an email/phonecall (especially while teaching a lesson) and her then being annoyed because I didn't check with her lol, however if they don't contact referees it should be fine. So yeah, do Whetherspoons actually check up on the referees?
    But surely you are hoping to receive an offer so you would have to have a reference anyway? I agree it's fine to use your teacher just ask first! Or use the volunteer supervisor

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.