Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Help choosing a college

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've done some research but am having trouble making a decision. I'm applying for maths and come from a state school up north. Things that are important to me:
    Lots of musical stuff going on including choir(s)/orchestra(s)/jazz groups
    Music practice rooms (mainly for piano)
    Unpretentious, friendly and not too steeped in tradition
    A lot happening socially - I want to have some fun as a break from studying
    Not too central & touristy
    24h library
    Nice-looking gardens and buildings
    Good wifi!

If anyone can give their input it would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfla)
    Hi, I've done some research but am having trouble making a decision. I'm applying for maths and come from a state school up north. Things that are important to me:
    24h library
    Good wifi!

Clare college might suit you. They're known as being a musicy college. Don't know what their pianos are like. Trinity also has a great music society, good orchestra and choir. There's a nice grand piano in Burrells to practise on, the ones in the practise rooms (there are 6 or so, one reserved just for good pianists) behind the chapel aren't as great. But Trinity is central and traditional so probably wouldn't fit your other criteria!

Clare's stereotyped as being friendly, their gardens are very pretty. No idea about their library or wifi. Clare is central but a but set back from the main streets, which maybe shields it somewhat from tourists compared to Kings, Trinity etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfla)
    24h library
    Good wifi!

def churchill - although the building isn't exactly pretty
    loads of state school students, no gowns needed, music practice rooms, soooo much grass (aka giant fields which you can actually walk on too), isn't central (so is a lot quieter) but closer than some other hill colleges
    other things to note is it's high ratio of males (could be good or bad or neutral depending on what you think), loads of science students, very relaxed in terms of formality, college colours include pink haha

otherwise i would also look into neighbouring colleges like fitz, robinson which i also looked at during my open day a couple of years back due to hearing about their relaxed nature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfla)
    24h library
    Good wifi!

I was in a pretty similar situation last year (CS with maths, also from a state school up North) and I applied to Churchill, and now have a place at Homerton. Not sure about wifi quality, but I think they both meet most of your other factors (Churchill looks awful form the outside but is really nice on the inside in my opinion). I think Fitzwilliam and Robinson also fit the criteria apart from nice buildings (it's subjective), and Girton apart from the 24h library. I'm obviously biased, but I'd go for Homerton based on our cheap en-suite accommodation.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.