The Student Room Group

Should I do Maths?

Just started my A Levels and I'm doing RE, Biology and Maths. I got a B for maths at GCSE but we did a test recently and I got a D. They said we were supposed to do well on it because it would have been GCSE work. My friend got an A* though at GCSE and did exact same as me. They told us (6 people) that we should really change subjects but we can stick with it although it'll be really hard. Im willing to put the work in but they literally told us that we can put all the work in but still won't get a high grade. Also said there wasn't much chance of us getting past year 12... I discussed my options and I can do Media or Geology and that there's a possibility of Law or Psychology as they will have to ask the subject heads(I only got a C in English). Now I'm thinking whether its worth changing maths because I will put the work in. My parents will also get me a tutor. I have so many free lessons that I can revise maths. My other options are kinda **** and it removes the possibility of a career in finance. So should I do maths?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

To be honest maths is different to most A levels as instead of learning the knowledge it's more based around how many past paper questions you do. However i'm not a tutor of course. I would say if you want to do finance stick with maths to at least the end of the AS. The first three chapters in C1 are those topics you got a D at so you WILL go over them again so don't get completely discouraged. As long as you put the work in and if needed have a tutor the AS i think you can do. To be honest about half my maths class got a D or so when they did your test and the only people who dropped it at the end of AS was sheerly because they found it boring. there was only one U in my class of 20

TL;DR stick with it i think, get a tutor if needed, the first core book is focused on development from GCSE. ramp up to A2 may get a bit nasty though so beware there

Quick Reply

Latest