Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm set on studying midwifery at uni, and so far I've whistled it down to King's, Cardiff, York, Surrey and Manchester. I was just wondering which of them is the best for midwifery??
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesskirk)
    I'm set on studying midwifery at uni, and so far I've whistled it down to King's, Cardiff, York, Surrey and Manchester. I was just wondering which of them is the best for midwifery??
    Hi, I've moved your thread to a more appropriate forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesskirk)
    There really is no such thing as the 'best'. It comes down to which university suits you and your learning style, is situated somewhere you want to live and that you feel you would be happiest at. There is no point going to a university just because it was ranked higher on a league table or because someone recommended it.*

ReputationRep:
    You could look at where the placements would be and the standard of practice - whether you are going to be supported to become a real midwife who empowers women and families. People 'outside' won't understand this, it is not the same as other subjects, but I hope you do already.

Obviously you are going to want to experience a full range of practice but you could have a look for stats on homebirth rates in the area, whether there's an active ARM group in the area, CS rates etc etc... and who the lecturers are.

I would also caution that the universities producing the best midwives may not be at the most generally prestigious universities... one possible springs to my mind but if you are as passionate as you need to be and reading around I would think you would already know where that one is, it is not on your list there...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.