Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I have just started Year 12 (Sep. 2016) and studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics & Maths at A-Level. I would like to study Medicine at university, and already have a few ideas about where I might like to apply. I am aware that many universities look quite a lot upon the UKCAT score to determine who will receive an interview. I am fairly confident about my A-Levels, and achieved 10 A*s at GCSE, so the factor of my application I am most worried about is my UKCAT score. Would anyone have any advice about the test in general? How did you prepare? I know many people say 'Practice, practice, practice...' but are there any other tips anyone could give me about strategies to ensure that a low UKCAT score does not prevent me from achieving my dreams?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasper~)
    Hi. I have just started Year 12 (Sep. 2016) and studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics & Maths at A-Level. I would like to study Medicine at university, and already have a few ideas about where I might like to apply. I am aware that many universities look quite a lot upon the UKCAT score to determine who will receive an interview. I am fairly confident about my A-Levels, and achieved 10 A*s at GCSE, so the factor of my application I am most worried about is my UKCAT score. Would anyone have any advice about the test in general? How did you prepare? I know many people say 'Practice, practice, practice...' but are there any other tips anyone could give me about strategies to ensure that a low UKCAT score does not prevent me from achieving my dreams?

Thanks in advance!

It's an aptitude test so there isn't really much advice you can't revise for it but just practise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasper~)

Thanks in advance!
    Seriously, don't even bother worrying about UKCAT till after you've done your exams. There's only so much you can do for it, and you might feel confident about your A-Levels now, but in a few months it may well be a different story. I know loads of people with stellar GCSEs who really struggled with AS for various reasons, and it didn't really hit most of us until after Christmas.
    I revised for UKCAT for about 2.5 weeks and by the end of it my brain felt like it was going to explode. I couldn't have worked for it for any longer than that. (I got 727 avg)
    My advice: Focus on your A-Levels, do well in your AS/end of year mocks. Then worry about UKCAT.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.