Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently am in Year 12 and eventually I want to do an English undergraduate degree. Oxford A-level requirements are a tad lower - AAA, whereas Cambridge are A*AA.. I got 8A*2A at GCSE. I want to go into journalism so I want my background to glow as much as possible! Which one do you think would be a better option? Or maybe tell me which one I'd be more likely to get into? Plus can you recommend to me ways to make my application more competitive when I reach the time to apply? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggygeorgieee)
    Currently am in Year 12 and eventually I want to do an English undergraduate degree. Oxford A-level requirements are a tad lower - AAA, whereas Cambridge are A*AA.. I got 8A*2A at GCSE. I want to go into journalism so I want my background to glow as much as possible! Which one do you think would be a better option? Or maybe tell me which one I'd be more likely to get into? Plus can you recommend to me ways to make my application more competitive when I reach the time to apply? Thanks!
    look into the detailed course description for each uni and compare them that way
    compare stuff like the modules they offer (and decide whether one uni offers more interesting ones than the other) or even stuff like the amount of freedom you get in choosing/dropping modules for each year
    in addition, if you've been to both cities, then you might get an indicator of which had a better 'feel' but honestly i'd base the majority of my decision on the course content

i'm not an english student so i can't advise you on what would be 'easier' or how to improve your application but i would suggest that before you start thinking about that you should do the above first

ReputationRep:
    Agree with PurpleSquid.

If you want some more info on what the course is like at Cambridge (I'm a Cambridge student, but MML), then have a look at applytocambridge.com as this is our alternative prospectus written by the students. We also run a project on twitter called #CambTweet, and there is an account for English to which you can tweet questions! Oxford also run #OxTweet but I'm not sure if they have an English-specific account.

If you can go to open days in the summer, definitely do it! You'll be able to get a feel for the place and ask teaching staff and students all your questions. Also look out for course-specific open days and maybe things like subject masterclasses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    Agree with PurpleSquid.

If you want some more info on what the course is like at Cambridge (I'm a Cambridge student, but MML), then have a look at applytocambridge.com as this is our alternative prospectus written by the students. We also run a project on twitter called #CambTweet, and there is an account for English to which you can tweet questions! Oxford also run #OxTweet but I'm not sure if they have an English-specific account.

If you can go to open days in the summer, definitely do it! You'll be able to get a feel for the place and ask teaching staff and students all your questions. Also look out for course-specific open days and maybe things like subject masterclasses.
    (Original post by PurpleSquid)
    look into the detailed course description for each uni and compare them that way
    compare stuff like the modules they offer (and decide whether one uni offers more interesting ones than the other) or even stuff like the amount of freedom you get in choosing/dropping modules for each year
    in addition, if you've been to both cities, then you might get an indicator of which had a better 'feel' but honestly i'd base the majority of my decision on the course content

i'm not an english student so i can't advise you on what would be 'easier' or how to improve your application but i would suggest that before you start thinking about that you should do the above first
    Thanks! What do you guys study ??

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! What do you guys study ??
    Languages

ReputationRep:
    x
    It's very hard to say which you'd have a better chance of getting into, and the advice about looking at course structure is spot on. Pick the course that looks more interesting to you. If you're looking at journalism as a future career, get involved in student journalism! There are three newspapers at each university (well, two newspapers and The Tab...), plus various other journals, which means there are lots of posts for ambitious people to aim for. Trying to get interning positions at nationals over the vacations (especially in the summer) will help too. Unfortunately, many people want to get into journalism and newspapers are able to demand a lot for relatively little in return because there are only so many openings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    It's very hard to say which you'd have a better chance of getting into, and the advice about looking at course structure is spot on. Pick the course that looks more interesting to you. If you're looking at journalism as a future career, get involved in student journalism! There are three newspapers at each university (well, two newspapers and The Tab...), plus various other journals, which means there are lots of posts for ambitious people to aim for. Trying to get interning positions at nationals over the vacations (especially in the summer) will help too. Unfortunately, many people want to get into journalism and newspapers are able to demand a lot for relatively little in return because there are only so many openings.
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.