What do you think of the BBC?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are they unbiased? Do you support the Licence fee?

ReputationRep:
    They're biased on pretty much everything. And, do I want to pay £100 for them to t**t about, and cover up the atrocities of pedos? Lol no, I do not.

ReputationRep:
    I love BBC BRIT, anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Extremely objective and reliable for media standards.

(Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
    I love BBC BRIT, anyone else?
    The opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceHarrys)
    License fee is a bit silly.

For a government sponsored media company they're incredibly unbiased - students in the USA are told to use the BBC site for news because US media is 99% garbage.

here's this notion that they're left favoured but tbh that's just in contrast to most of the papers being slightly right wing (thanks to the world's deadliest BS artist, Rupert Murdoch (not to say all of his papers or right wing papers are BS - just that some of his papers have contributed greatly to the demise of journalism (think vaccinations, climate change, fluoride... pretty much any made up major news story)).

What most media companies don't understand is the difference between neutrality and objectivity - BBC generally understands it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Also the acronym is unfortunate

ReputationRep:
    Biased, basic and covers the most irrelevant topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathMoFarah)
    License fee is a bit silly.

For a government sponsored media company they're incredibly unbiased - students in the USA are told to use the BBC site for news because US media is 99% garbage.

here's this notion that they're left favoured but tbh that's just in contrast to most of the papers being slightly right wing (thanks to the world's deadliest BS artist, Rupert Murdoch (not to say all of his papers or right wing papers are BS - just that some of his papers have contributed greatly to the demise of journalism (think vaccinations, climate change, fluoride... pretty much any made up major news story)).

What most media companies don't understand is the difference between neutrality and objectivity - BBC generally understands it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Also the acronym is unfortunate
    It is haha.

ReputationRep:
    Good quality, mostly unbiased but does have occasional incidents of bias due to individual reporters and things like that.

And at least you can complain about that sort of thing with the BBC (and I have done exactly that on occasion) - good luck complaining to the Daily Mail about how their latest article on climate change was misleading and perhaps they could have written about xyz study instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    Good quality, mostly unbiased but does have occasional incidents of bias due to individual reporters and things like that.

And at least you can complain about that sort of thing with the BBC (and I have done exactly that on occasion) - good luck complaining to the Daily Mail about how their latest article on climate change was misleading and perhaps they could have written about xyz study instead.
    What did you do? I complained to the BBC about something two months ago and got a non answer :lol:

ReputationRep:
    They're a load of left-wing scum. Down with the BBC.

ReputationRep:
    I really like Big Bad Cats

ReputationRep:
    What did you do? I complained to the BBC about something two months ago and got a non answer :lol:
    It was an article about the vote on air strikes against ISIS in Syria.

Now, in 2013, parliament voted against air strikes in Syria, which the article mentioned. However, back then, they voted against air strikes on government targets - the vote in 2013 was not about bombing ISIS and the circumstances of that vote were completely different. The wording in the article would suggest to some that this vote on bombing ISIS had already been had and was lost, which is of course not the case. So I made a complaint that the wording in the article was potentially misleading.

Can't remember what response I got. Probably some non answer, but that's not the point - at least I was actually able to make a complaint. That's not possible for most other media organisations.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's dark, big and enjoyed by many women

ReputationRep:
    Their news channel is very good but I think it should be privatised.

ReputationRep:
    It tries very hard to be unbiased and that's probably its biggest bias. People who overly complain about the BBC on the left and right are nuts. It is very good quality compared to similar outlets.

I think it should be kept in some form or another but I don't think it has any right to exist on principle.

ReputationRep:
    BBC is morally biased. should be some state trust, and people can pay a voluntary licence fee. it shouldn't be mandatory at all.

ReputationRep:
    oh, and this time they need to help beat Barca for La Liga......and help the whites get 12 #halamadrid!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.