Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Chemistry or biochemistry

ReputationRep:
    Im soo confused on which to pick to study at uni (biochem or chem)

I really like chem at a level but im not sure if i just like it because i understand it. But with bio i only like some parts like cells and molecular bio (dont like the general biology like anatomy, digestion etc.)

So im trying to find a biochem course with more chem but im not sure if i should just do pure chem instead :3 - when i think of pure chem at degree level it makes me think it will be really hard and that i cant see myself doing chem at uni.

NOTE: sorry if my grammar is bad here - im a bit busy atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    Im soo confused on which to pick to study at uni (biochem or chem)

I really like chem at a level but im not sure if i just like it because i understand it. But with bio i only like some parts like cells and molecular bio (dont like the general biology like anatomy, digestion etc.)

So im trying to find a biochem course with more chem but im not sure if i should just do pure chem instead :3 - when i think of pure chem at degree level it makes me think it will be really hard and that i cant see myself doing chem at uni.

NOTE: sorry if my grammar is bad here - im a bit busy atm
    You might enjoy pharmaceutical chemistry?
    At my university, the chemistry and pharmaceutical chemistry courses are exactly the same for the same first year except for one module only, and chemistry students do 'states of matter' whereas pharmaceutical chemistry students do 'basic biochemistry'
    I believe this is the same for all universities that are accredited by the Royal society of chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In some chem/natsci degrees you can start doing chemistry and end up doing a Biochemistry degree at the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    In some chem/natsci degrees you can start doing chemistry and end up doing a Biochemistry degree at the end of it.
    Ahh ill look into that, thanks - i know you cant switch from biochem to chem. Although i dont really want to be switching degrees its always good to have the option to do so

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position to you, however I've had another year to think about it. I'm applying for 4 natural sciences degrees, in which I will be studying chemistry along with biochemistry/other biology elements and 1 pure chemistry degree. So my advice to you would really be choose a degree where you can sort of do both until the 3rd year.
    If you want to make a decision now, I would go for chemistry. The reason I think this is a good idea is that it's probably a lot easier for a chemist to apply themselves to biochemistry rather than the other way round, particularly if you attempt to keep in touch with biology as an undergraduate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    I'm in a similar position to you, however I've had another year to think about it. I'm applying for 4 natural sciences degrees, in which I will be studying chemistry along with biochemistry/other biology elements and 1 pure chemistry degree. So my advice to you would really be choose a degree where you can sort of do both until the 3rd year.
    If you want to make a decision now, I would go for chemistry. The reason I think this is a good idea is that it's probably a lot easier for a chemist to apply themselves to biochemistry rather than the other way round, particularly if you attempt to keep in touch with biology as an undergraduate
    Thanks - where are you applying to?

Im looking at biochem and biological chem at Nottingham which seems perfect for me because its basically chem with a few biochem/other bio modules.

But when i think of pure chem with very little biology ... i dont know if i would enjoy it more or not? If i did decide to go for chem i would have to change my personal statement and i havent even looked at chem courses on uni open days . Also im not sure if i like chem at a level, would i still like it at degree level? Im just very confused

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - where are you applying to?

Im looking at biochem and biological chem at Nottingham which seems perfect for me because its basically chem with a few biochem/other bio modules.

But when i think of pure chem with very little biology ... i dont know if i would enjoy it more or not? If i did decide to go for chem i would have to change my personal statement and i havent even looked at chem courses on uni open days . Also im not sure if i like chem at a level, would i still like it at degree level? Im just very confused
    Natural sciences at Bath, UCL, Durham & Cambridge
    Chemistry at St Andrews
    the course at Nottingham sounds good for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    Natural sciences at Bath, UCL, Durham & Cambridge
    Chemistry at St Andrews
    the course at Nottingham sounds good for you
    I see - what did you talk about in your personal statement - does it cover both subjects (natsci and chem)??

ReputationRep:
    I see - what did you talk about in your personal statement - does it cover both subjects (natsci and chem)??
    it's a bit weird really - sort of mainly about chemistry, chemical biology and my EPQ
    So kind of, but it's geared slightly more to the chemistry side of things

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.