Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Should i use MOOC or type the entire thing out when mentioning it in my personal statement ? I initially used MOOC but my career teacher has told me to type the entire thing out and not use short forms. Another short form i used was BGIC which stands for Borneo Global Issues Conference (something like MUN but smaller).

What does UCAS recommend ? And any official statement by UCAS would be good as i dont think she would take a strangers opinion from TSR as reliable. Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really seen anyone from UCAS post in here (I don't know if UCAS has an official representative on TSR), but the general rule is write it out in full the first time, acronym afterwards in brackets, then you can use the acronym after that. Some very common ones can be used from the outset, but I don't think those qualify. Best to err on the side of caution anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    I haven't really seen anyone from UCAS post in here (I don't know if UCAS has an official representative on TSR), but the general rule is write it out in full the first time, acronym afterwards in brackets, then you can use the acronym after that. Some very common ones can be used from the outset, but I don't think those qualify. Best to err on the side of caution anyway
    Even for generally known acronyms like MOOC ? I understand if its for less well known acronyms such as BGIC (Borneo Global Issues Conference).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyamlim97)
    Even for generally known acronyms like MOOC ? I understand if its for less well known acronyms such as BGIC (Borneo Global Issues Conference).
    I'm not familiar with the specific area (obviously different subjects have different common acronyms). You may be OK with MOOC, I don't know. I would say definitely write out the other one in full tho
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyamlim97)
    Most admissions staff will understand what a MOOC is - or you can always just refer to "online modules" or "online courses" as a compromise.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.