Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok to the people who wanted to know how my laser operation went... it was terrific. slightly scary yes but hardly lasts long at all, and im better than 20/20 vision now. lol i still sometimes touch the top of my nose still thinking im wearing glasses (slighlytly sad i know) because my vision is so good. you shouldnt be scared the chances of a **** up are realyl really slim, near 0%. in the long run its excellent - no more taking in n takin out contacts after a long nite or in the morning, i can see the time on the wall when i wake up or even next to me. its a no brainer really i recomend optical express.

ReputationRep:
    to the OP - I had the exact same problem when I first tried contact lenses, when I moved my eyes around, the vision would go blurry and it was like looking out of goggles with water trapped in them...at the time I kept telling Specsavers that something was wrong but they just kept insisting I had to get used to them and it would go away in time. But I knew they were wrong so I just gave up and went to a different branch. Looking back, I think they must have been too big or faulty or something...they definitely weren't inside out because I had only ever had them in one position on my finger.

The next time I tried contacts, they were fine so I definitely think it's a case of get rid of the contacts and start from stratch as opposed to keep tolerating the problem!

Going onto a slightly different topic...has anyone ever been told they have 'corneal staining'? At my last check up, I was told I didn't need to go for a check up until a years time (instead of the usual 6 months)... then I went the other week and he asked me to take my contacts out, which I was never asked to do the time before. I had difficulty getting my right one out - which has been like that ever since I started wearing them, so he put orange dye in my eye and found that I had extremely dry eyes (I don't blink enough apparently) and told me not to wear them and come back in a weeks time.

He suspected that it was because I wear them too much or don't clean them thoroughly but I insisted that I am meticulous about lense hygene (I'm too paranoid not to be) and I've never worn them more than the recommended time. I am however, quite a internet junkiem, so I stare at screens a fair bit and have never used eye drops (never knew they were necessary). Is this the likely cause of the 'staining'?

Even though their frame collections are impressive and good value, does anyone think Specsavers are on the whole, a bit slap dash and not thorough? (I've had previous prescriptions that were way too strong and had to go and get re tested somewhere else etc).

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say in my experience specsavers arent very good.. and as another poster has said they are a bit 'slap dash and not thorough'... When I first moved to the town I live in when I was about 13 I went to specsavers first because I refused to wear glasses and wanted contacts instead and obviously its quite a big company so that was the first place I though of! They spent about 5 minutes checking how far I could see etc etc and then when I asked about contact lenses they just said 'oh no we only give contact lenses to over 18's'... and that was that! So I just went to another opticians which was just local, and they spent about 20 minutes more checking my eyesight and spent alot more time talking to me, which made me feel a hell of alot more comfortable as I hated anyone else apart from me going anywhere near my eyes, still do actually lol... and they let me have contact lenses and didnt seem to understand why specsavers had just said no to me straight away... plus, the other advantage of going to just a local optician is that whenever I go for a checkup I have the same person so I know he's not going to poke me in the eye or anything by mistake :p: lol

Oh and contact lenses can be awful if you've got dry eyes, my eyes tend to get like that at the end of the day occasionally and it can make them so itchy and horrible! Ive always found lying down for 10 minutes with my eyes closed helps a hell of alot though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2007
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.