Any hope for me? Watch

Xaat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I’ve got 6 months left of a “BSc (Hons) Business Computing”, so far I’ve averaged a 2.1 but the degree is college taught and verified by a university. I want to work as a programmer as this is a long-time hobby of mine but im worried that due to the nature of my course being a “college degree” in a quite general subject, and the fact that my only experience has been in retail, that I’m going to get laughed at by employers?

Im not looking for a job at IBM or anything, just a normal job. Can anybody advise as to my chances of finding employment in this area?

Do you think it would be worth my while taking a masters degree in something more specific such as computer science?

Thanks in advance.
alastair
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Big question is, can you program? And if so what languages?
Xaat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by alastair)
Big question is, can you program? And if so what languages?
I have been programming for several years in C# mostly, I tried to stick to one modern language and get good at it rather than knowing a little bit about a lot of different languages. Hopefully this will pay off. I have also done quite a bit of programming in HTML, PHP, SQL and XML but website development is not really what I want to do as a career. I have done some basic C++ and C as part of my course.

In the past I have developed a range of small applications in C# including an instant messenger application, a program to monitor network bandwidth usage, and a small front end to a stock database for my family retail business.
The Regend
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you've got good quality knowledge of the .NET framework (ASP/VB/C#) and perhaps SQL Server, then there's plenty of opportunity out there for potential development roles. Get your foot in the door, even by contracting at say, £10 or £15 per hour and go from there. Get the experience and the opportunities will follow from there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (812)
80.48%
Leave (197)
19.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed