Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with A-Level History! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Well, it's been about two weeks into my A-Level and I have been enjoying my subjects… EXCEPT FOR HISTORY! Guys, I am so stressed. I barely understand anything, and when I say anything I mean it. To put it into a percentage out of the 100% of class work, I only understand about 20-30%. History is making me hate school and to be honest I don't even want to go to school anymore. No one understands me, in class I am the only who doesn't understand anything while everyone else is answering the questions. I spoke to my teacher and he said I "shouldn't worry" because I "will understand soon." But that's not the case.

The more lessons I have the bigger the gap is of how back I am. I just don't know what to do. I really like History but now I'm thinking was it the best choice to choose it for my A-Levels? I was thinking of dropping it and choosing another subject (maybe Law) but I honestly don't know because I would be sad with dropping the subject but I don't want to FAIL. Ughhh, do you understand where I'm coming from? Also, we have already done A LOT in my class so another issue is if I do happen to move, I will be behind again. I spoke to my friend and she told me she's the same but she's not (at all actually). We had group work to do and had to feedback to the class and my team/group mates answered the questions while I sat there miserably unable to answer. I just felt like crap.

I was thinking of getting tutoring. Does anyone know any? Around East London. I would really appreciate it.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by change06)
    Hello all,

Well, it's been about two weeks into my A-Level and I have been enjoying my subjects… EXCEPT FOR HISTORY! Guys, I am so stressed. I barely understand anything, and when I say anything I mean it. To put it into a percentage out of the 100% of class work, I only understand about 20-30%. History is making me hate school and to be honest I don't even want to go to school anymore. No one understands me, in class I am the only who doesn't understand anything while everyone else is answering the questions. I spoke to my teacher and he said I "shouldn't worry" because I "will understand soon." But that's not the case.

The more lessons I have the bigger the gap is of how back I am. I just don't know what to do. I really like History but now I'm thinking was it the best choice to choose it for my A-Levels? I was thinking of dropping it and choosing another subject (maybe Law) but I honestly don't know because I would be sad with dropping the subject but I don't want to FAIL. Ughhh, do you understand where I'm coming from? Also, we have already done A LOT in my class so another issue is if I do happen to move, I will be behind again. I spoke to my friend and she told me she's the same but she's not (at all actually). We had group work to do and had to feedback to the class and my team/group mates answered the questions while I sat there miserably unable to answer. I just felt like crap.

I was thinking of getting tutoring. Does anyone know any? Around East London. I would really appreciate it.

I wouldnt worry. History is just like a sopa opera. You just need to understand the plot and the motives of all the characters. You dont say what periods you are doing. But watch a few documentaries on youtube to get an overall idea of the events and soon everything will slot into place of who dod what to whom and why.

You could also get a revision book and just look at the areas covered so you get the basic plot to give you a framework. Geta tutor by all means, but just put a bit of work in now and you can catch up. becayse its at the beginning of the course you will get bored of doing this part of the syllabus becayse it will always be the most revised chapters by virtue of being at the beginning.

A timeline of events is always handy. I wouldnt panic if you like the subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.