Glasgow School of Art 2017 Applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd make a thread for people planning to apply to get try and get in for 2017

I'm planning on applying for communication design.
    Unfortunately there's barely any info or tips anywhere on how to get into GSA, and I can't find ANY personal statement examples :confused:

Is anyone planning on going to the portfolio prep classes?
    I'm most worried about making a good portfolio. I heard life drawing is very useful though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, there!
    I´m also thinking of GSA for communication design. I´m in the same position as you, I don´t really know what to say in my personal statement or in my portfolio.
    By the way, do you know if it is too hard to get in? Or what the course is like?

ReputationRep:
    Also applying to com des! In answer to RocioRey, 12% of applicants get in 😬 It's very competitive. There's example portfolios for each GSA course if you look it up but there seems to be a decent amount of life drawing, I'm thinking of doing an incredibly varied portfolio but with a focus on graphic illustration.
    I can't afford the portfolio prep classes but I'm hoping the Internet can be helpful enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocioRey)
    Hi, there!
    I´m also thinking of GSA for communication design. I´m in the same position as you, I don´t really know what to say in my personal statement or in my portfolio.
    By the way, do you know if it is too hard to get in? Or what the course is like?
    My friend who's doing it has told me to make sure my portfolio is REALLY good. She said they tend to focus more on your portfolio than your grades. I'm doing lots of life drawing too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coriarts)
    Also applying to com des! In answer to RocioRey, 12% of applicants get in 😬 It's very competitive. There's example portfolios for each GSA course if you look it up but there seems to be a decent amount of life drawing, I'm thinking of doing an incredibly varied portfolio but with a focus on graphic illustration.
    I can't afford the portfolio prep classes but I'm hoping the Internet can be helpful enough!
    12%!???? That's scary. Well all just have to try our best. I'll try update this thread on what I learn from the classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahoutenshi)
    12%!???? That's scary. Well all just have to try our best. I'll try update this thread on what I learn from the classes.
    That will be very helpful! I´m from Spain so I don´t know who talk with about this to help me and every kind of information will be extremely useful for me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I am applying for the painting and printmaking course, and I definitely
    would advise incorporating some aspect of life and observational drawing, but also put an emphasise on what your themes and concepts are. That is what got a friend of mine on to the course they chose, as they had a personal idea that was different and full of different mediums and techniques that really helped as well.

ReputationRep:
    Im planning on applying for Fine Art Photography and Sculpture and Environmental Art, anyone else??

ReputationRep:
    Hi applying for communication design too- how is everyone getting on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luvlieliza)
    Hi applying for communication design too- how is everyone getting on?
    I recently went to the open day and I'm terrified! There were so many people, they could barely fit into the auditorium. Well, if I don't get accepted (which hopefully isn't the case) I plan on going to Clyde college to build up a bigger portfolio

ReputationRep:
    I remember going to the Glasgow open day and there was so many people as well! It is scary that so many apply and very few get a place, but you just have to hope that they see potential in you. I cant remember if I said in my other reply but I am applying for painting and now communication design as well.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.