Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

In short, I don't really know what options are available for me, nor do I know what to do.

I've just finished 2 years of my Masters (second year in Poland), specializing in Russian and Eastern European studies (the overall grade is not yet published but I am hoping for a first/distinction). For a while, I have contemplated doing a PhD - whilst my thesis supervisors recently told me that they strongly advise that I pursue this - however I did not want to go straight from a Masters to PhD. So either way, a gap year was going to be inevitable.

At the moment, I'm basically chilling, whilst I return to the UK at the end of the month. In the past, I have worked both admin and retail jobs, however I know how soul destroying these are. I envisaged that after my Masters I would find a job within the area of my past studies - and thus getting paid for a job I enjoy doing - but realistically, I don't know what kind of job I could go for. Obviously, I could look into the education sector, but technically I cannot teach given that I haven't got experience or additional qualifications for this. So, as it stands, I've just applied for a few admin jobs in my hometown, despite wanting to do something geared towards experience in my research area.

Are there any options open for post-Masters students to get paid for research in a university setting? I know a few universities in the midlands that have Centers for Slavic/European studies, but I just don't know how to go about doing anything. I'm torn because at the end of the day I want to earn money and will take any old job, but at the same time I want to gain experience and do something meaningful. I'm not saying a run-of-the-mill job isn't meaningful, but it isn't something that appeals to me. At the end of it all, I would like to be a teacher of some description (not to little kids, I'm thinking more in a university environment and thus I will do a PhD).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: I didn't realise this was in the Postgraduate Application section (should have been support) sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Your degree is a waste if you're not actively engaging with others in Russian, Polish, etc. or spending enough time in eastern Europe getting to know the cultures and working there
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Moved this for you. Getting into research isn't easy and it's really a question of looking at what's out there and applying for things you find interesting. Once you get a foot in the door it gets easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Your degree is a waste if you're not actively engaging with others in Russian, Polish, etc. or spending enough time in eastern Europe getting to know the cultures and working there
    Thanks, but you imply that I haven't done that already (which I have, both in Poland and Russia)

I have to be in the UK this coming year, as I haven't got the funds to be swanning around Eastern Europe - so as much as I want to go abroad again, I cannot in the immediate future. I was just wondering what my options were in the UK for the time being, as I wouldn't be able to support myself on a Polish wage, whilst I would face the same issue over there as I would here - that is, finding something relevant and actually getting paid for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately there are no easy answers when you're looking for research posts. Try making it known around your former department that you're looking for research work and maybe see if your prospective supervisor could recommend you to colleagues at other unis.

I bounce from short contract to short contract in my former department. Two contracts which I was told could start during the summer, haven't materialised and now probably won't until early next year. There's a third contract which I've been assured will be starting "any day now" for the past month. I've been warned that I might only get a couple of days' notice of the start date. It can be a pretty flakey existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarkrista112)
    Hello,

In short, I don't really know what options are available for me, nor do I know what to do.

I've just finished 2 years of my Masters (second year in Poland), specializing in Russian and Eastern European studies (the overall grade is not yet published but I am hoping for a first/distinction). For a while, I have contemplated doing a PhD - whilst my thesis supervisors recently told me that they strongly advise that I pursue this - however I did not want to go straight from a Masters to PhD. So either way, a gap year was going to be inevitable.

At the moment, I'm basically chilling, whilst I return to the UK at the end of the month. In the past, I have worked both admin and retail jobs, however I know how soul destroying these are. I envisaged that after my Masters I would find a job within the area of my past studies - and thus getting paid for a job I enjoy doing - but realistically, I don't know what kind of job I could go for. Obviously, I could look into the education sector, but technically I cannot teach given that I haven't got experience or additional qualifications for this. So, as it stands, I've just applied for a few admin jobs in my hometown, despite wanting to do something geared towards experience in my research area.

Are there any options open for post-Masters students to get paid for research in a university setting? I know a few universities in the midlands that have Centers for Slavic/European studies, but I just don't know how to go about doing anything. I'm torn because at the end of the day I want to earn money and will take any old job, but at the same time I want to gain experience and do something meaningful. I'm not saying a run-of-the-mill job isn't meaningful, but it isn't something that appeals to me. At the end of it all, I would like to be a teacher of some description (not to little kids, I'm thinking more in a university environment and thus I will do a PhD).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: I didn't realise this was in the Postgraduate Application section (should have been support) sorry!
    You might be lucky and a research post might come up. But realistically this is far more likely to be at doctorate or post-doctorate level. Lots of the jobs that you could perhaps do are also done by PhD students (e.g. language teaching for undergraduates). I think your only option is to find some generic graduate post/policy job which requires your specific language background. Otherwise it is just finding a normal job to tide you over.

I personally would have applied for a PhD just to see whether you secure funding. Slavic studies is a small area and SSEES are probably the ones in the UK who offer funding ever year so it does not really matter whether your supervisors were enthusiastic or not.

ReputationRep:
    I would try and get a funded PhD. That's basically the kind of job you're looking for. I would consider approaching it very seriously as a job (so schedule 2 days off a week and keep relatively normal working hours). Are you worried you'll get bogged down in your studies and hence it won't be a "job"?

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you have a general interest in education. You could consider doing some short courses for being a teacher in further education (you can do the qualification formally known as ptlls over four to twelve weeks generally speaking).

Like you, I have postgraduate qualifications and an interest in education. My plan is to teach in FE and then possibly do a PhD when the timing and circumstances feel right.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.