Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

GCSE Maths

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 11. I'm in set 2 for maths. In my school everyone in set 2 and below do foundation tier maths. I'm looking for advice on how I can go onto higher tier which only set 1 do. I've been told by my teachers that it's possible for me to do higher but could I have your advice on this and how can I certainly 1000% be doing maths higher tier. I just need the further reassurance

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're consistently getting high Cs in the foundation paper because that would imply you've got the ability to get at least a B in higher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSB7)
    I'm currently in year 11. I'm in set 2 for maths. In my school everyone in set 2 and below do foundation tier maths. I'm looking for advice on how I can go onto higher tier which only set 1 do. I've been told by my teachers that it's possible for me to do higher but could I have your advice on this and how can I certainly 1000% be doing maths higher tier. I just need the further reassurance
    Just try really hard, work on topics that you struggle with then do topics ahead of your class answer questions in class (don't sound too cocky though) do loads of past papers near exam time, find a tutor if possible (there are ones that don't charge a lot out there!) use math resources online:
    Hegarty maths videos plus make an account on this site
    Us draw maths
    Use mathsgenie topic past papers(they have very topic you need from E-A* with a video tutorial for each, marks scheme, worked solutions and topic questions
    Use mathwatch- ask ur teacher for login details if you haven't already got one
    Also, don't be disheartened cos teachers know what's best- they don't always purposely make you aim low. I was in set 4 at GCSE ( are sets were quite different so on west pathway 4 was the lowest whereas on east pathway set 4 west was better than set 1 east (I know it's like the developed and underdeveloped world))
    At the start of yr10 ( and I was hopless at maths since forever) we started higher but were told we needed to cover foundation two year course in one year before doing higher in yr11 whereas our equivalent set 4 class (2 classes for each set) got to do higher. I was so upset found myself a tutor and worked really hard using all those resources. In the end our class did better in the fact we were all entered for higher tier whereas some people in the other were entered for foundation so in the end out bad luck changed to good luck - and as if some miracle had descended on me I went for a predicted d/c at the start of yr10 to an A in my GCSE which was truly like a miracle. I guess those teachers really did know what they were doing (plus all that extra support they gave us was so helpful all we needed to do was get ourselves out of bed early on Saturdays to get to school for 2 hours ( not a lot considering the difference it made!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight2000)
    Just try really hard, work on topics that you struggle with then do topics ahead of your class answer questions in class (don't sound too cocky though) do loads of past papers near exam time, find a tutor if possible (there are ones that don't charge a lot out there!) use math resources online:
    Hegarty maths videos plus make an account on this site
    Us draw maths
    Use mathsgenie topic past papers(they have very topic you need from E-A* with a video tutorial for each, marks scheme, worked solutions and topic questions
    Use mathwatch- ask ur teacher for login details if you haven't already got one
    Also, don't be disheartened cos teachers know what's best- they don't always purposely make you aim low. I was in set 4 at GCSE ( are sets were quite different so on west pathway 4 was the lowest whereas on east pathway set 4 west was better than set 1 east (I know it's like the developed and underdeveloped world))
    At the start of yr10 ( and I was hopless at maths since forever) we started higher but were told we needed to cover foundation two year course in one year before doing higher in yr11 whereas our equivalent set 4 class (2 classes for each set) got to do higher. I was so upset found myself a tutor and worked really hard using all those resources. In the end our class did better in the fact we were all entered for higher tier whereas some people in the other were entered for foundation so in the end out bad luck changed to good luck - and as if some miracle had descended on me I went for a predicted d/c at the start of yr10 to an A in my GCSE which was truly like a miracle. I guess those teachers really did know what they were doing (plus all that extra support they gave us was so helpful all we needed to do was get ourselves out of bed early on Saturdays to get to school for 2 hours ( not a lot considering the difference it made!!!)
    Wow amazing progress- you went from a predicted d/e to an A in maths!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSB7)
    Ask your HoD/HoY, and demonstrate ability within end of module test. Practice is key in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Wow amazing progress- you went from a predicted d/e to an A in maths!!!
    Thanks..:just a boost of motivation for those that are struggling with this or any other subject ...I have similar story for GCSE physics (from an F at the start of yr10 to an A in GCSE) tip: work hard and never think it's too late to turn something around

(Original post by SSB7)
    that was me when i did my GCSEs
    i was at the bottom set in year 10 - set 5
    set 2 ones do the higher tier
    and i wanted to do higher so i can do A level maths and then uni as well
    sooo i really put hardwork in to move up... although no one really thought i would move up and do higher tier maths but i proved them wrong and did it :borat:
    if your grade C is very strong and there is no difficulty for you to move up :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reassurance! And same! I want a career in finance and want to go on to do Alevel maths! I know I'm capable of it. I'll work my butt off this year and achieve it. I doubt I'll move up to set one as it's too late to do that but I'm sure I can do higher tier, I'm going to get a tutor and stay after school for additional math classes, right now I am a C+ student in maths purely because that's the highest I can achieve in foundation. I regret messing about I'm year 9 and 10, but now I'm taking it serious. Although I already have 3 qualifications, just need maths and English to get into sixth form.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.