Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on doing Electronic Engineering at Loughborough (I hope anyway). During the summer I have been working on a summer placement as an Electrical and Electronic Engineer, not sure if this is my actual job title but it is the position I applied for.

Before I started I didn't believe I would actually get that involved with anything, and it would be more like an extended version of the 1 week work experiences a lot of schools encourage us to do (ie just doing paperwork etc). However, within the first 2 weeks I was handed jobs with responsibilities much greater than what I expected, and shortly afterwards I was being handed whole projects with massive amounts of responsibility to work on. I'm being underpaid at the moment, but just this few months experience has already given me a massive leap in my development as an Engineer and probably as a person (sounds cheesy I know).

Anyway, a few days ago my 'bosses' came to me and asked if I wanted to stay for a whole year and delay going to University, they even spoke about the possibility of the company funding me through Uni. The conversation finished with them saying that the decision is entirely up to me. I would have thought I will get pay rise if I do stay, and a years experience (which I hear is very important in engineering), however it is not quite in the area of electronics I had envisioned myself going into after my education.

I'm not sure whether I should take this opportunity. I have virtually no time to decide. I will have to e-mail the admissions tutor in the Electronic Engineering Department at Loughborough to find out how I would go about deferring my place, and possibly ask for advice aswell - but it is so close to results day, will they even have time to look at it? Should I not bother, is it too late?

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing an e-mail now even if I don't send it. Do you guys think they would take this sort of thing into account if I miss my offer? This experience and the fact I've been asked to stay (which I am told hasn't happened before) could still swing the outcome in my favour.

In reality, I think I will only take the job if I don't get accepted. I have my heart set on Loughborough and don't want to go anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Is the pay good?

ReputationRep:
    At the moment it is a lot more than I got in Tescos. If I take the year, and they put me on equal to what the other project engineers are earning (which I will ask for), then I don't think I could find another job paying this well for an 18 year old. I would probably end up bringing home more money than my dad.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you have obviously done very well in this job and the offer to sponsor you through uni is a tribute to that. So touch that feather in your cap.

Although Results Day isn't far off, the busy time for the unis hasn't started quite yet, so I would be inclined to suggest that you ring them and talk through what the options are. Presumably experience in Industry is an essential bit of your course, and usually unis have links with appropriate companies to provide placements for students. So a key issue to consider in your decision is, would this company that has offered to sponsor you be an approved placement? If not, why not? Do you have to work in several different settings to meet the requirements for your degree? How would this company feel about that if they are paying for you?

Arranging a deferred place is not usually of itself that difficult, although you might have to make a case for it - and this would seem to be a pretty good one.

The other thing to think about is that sponsorship is a two-way street - you will have obligations towards the company as a result. So, you need to establish - in writing - what those might be before firmly committing yourself to anything.

Good luck - and don't rush in to a decision, you have got at least a little time to find out what you can and think it through. The only other thing I would add is to be careful not to let the money side of things over-ride your instincts; if it doesn't feel right, however much you appreciate the offer, don't take it.

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your position, I would accept the job.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: seems like a great opportunity. The experience will help u so much when you finish uni and are looking for a job. Funding you thru uni, in adittion to paying u wages? Dude if they do that, I'd say it was a done deal. Get ur place deferred (that should be pretty easy to do)

Man, ur really lucky!

ReputationRep:
    I'd accept the job too; offers like this don't come along every day, whereas even if Loughborough, for some reason, refuse to let you defer entry, you'll only find yourself in an even better position to apply to them again next year.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you get the Engineering company to put your job offer/salary/conditions for the year in writing(don't worry about the sponsorship as this can be negotiated later- if you want) before you defer Loughborough.

A gap year in Engineering is encouraged and I'm sure Loughborough will defer entry- but speak to them/visit them asap and before Results Day.

Good Luck.

:call:

ReputationRep:
    MY BEST choice : go and take the job and ask for deferred entry , on the other hand u can even apply again this year via ucas , try to get into a better college and u have some proper job experiences to add on the ucas form as well .....

SO Very good for U this opportunity

ReputationRep:
    What you need to remember Baker is that bar the "social development experience" that uni provides, the ultimate goal of uni is to set you up for life with a decent. It seems to me that’s you have bypassed that bridged anyway.

I would go along with what other members say, TAKE THE JOB.
    Honestly bro the pros of taking the job outweigh the cons:

1)You will be making some serious sterling.
    2)you will be saving some serious sterling if you get sponsored
    3)you will have almost unrivalled experience to your peers if you eventually enter uni
    4)leading onto from that experience it could mean you perform extremely well at uni, possibly getting a first?
    5)if your deferring entry application is successful or even unsuccessful for a matter of fact you may be able to apply to a "better" uni - (please don't slate me I'm not saying Loughborough isn't good, just that it may not be good enough for someone of your potential, its the everlasting argument of "if you get a degree from Oxbridge/Imperial your set!" and believe me if you have decent A-Levels i.e. ABB+ Oxbridge and the like would take the application of someone in your position very seriously.).

Those are the main points I can think of but I'm sure there are more. In short if I was in your position I would take the job.

Shady,

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely take the job. A year's experience before you even start uni will put you in a much better position than the majority of your peers, in terms of future career prospects as well as financially, and if the company sponsor you through uni, that's obviously a huge bonus as well. Make sure you find out what the company would want in return first so you don't end up having to do anything you don't want to or pay the money back. Contact Loughborough as soon as you've decided and ask them to defer your place. I'm sure they will, especially when you have such a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Take the job.

If you don't get a defer entry this year, you can always apply through the ucas cycle again.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitaly take the job. Fantastic opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    Sent the e-mail today while at work. Do you think I will get a reply?

I hope if I miss my grades this will swing their decision in my favour.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.