Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

External student - council tax

    • Thread Starter

    I'm becoming an external student where I will just re-sit a failed module exam in January and then return to my full time studies next September. I will not be taking lectures, coursework etc. During this time, i will be living in private rented student housing with all full time students. Do I need to pay Council tax during my stay?

    I think you probably do need to pay some council tax IF you're not *enrolled* as a full time student... There's a reduction for enrolled part time students but afaik external student isn't a recognised category for the purpose of council tax assessment. You may be eligible for council tax support.

    but IMO you should check with the student union or a CAB

    The council should also be able to advise you. But as far as I'm aware, the above is right.
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.