Turn on thread page Beta

What is a Postal Order ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have to send quite a large amount of Cash,in the Post

I've been told to buy a Postal Order. What is a Postal Order ?

ReputationRep:
    its a method of sending money in the post without using cash. you just go to a post office and pay them cash and they'll give you a postal order slip for that amount.

you put the recipients details on the postal order (more like a cheque really) and they receive it and redeem it for cash at a post office.

as far as i know

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok,so it's really for security reasons ?

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    It's just like a cheque. Nobody can steal it and cash it, so the money will only ever go where it should.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you send one which is crossed. I think its just two strikes they put through it. If it isn't crossed then anyone can cash it so it would be just as unsafe as sending cash in the post. Crossed ones can only be cashed by the person named.

ReputationRep:
    i take it u cannot ban transfer it

depending on how much it is i would just send the cash in the post but send it in a nice padded envelope via special delivery os its insured for a large amount - less hassle than a postal order

dont tell the PO ppl ur sending cash coz they dont like it - just say u have vaaluable items in there!

ReputationRep:
    How much money do you have to send as you have to pay for the privelege of using a postal order (If you didnt know already)

They can charge you as much as £8.75 just to obtain a Postal order in order to send it on.
    So, say you were sending £100, you would have to give the post office £108.75 in return for a postal order for £100.

So as Clubber Lang said it might be a better idea to send well conscealed cash via special delivery (costs £4.95 I think) and that way you are insured if it goes missing and it is guarenteed to get there next day. You can also track it, and will be able to check online that its been delivered.

ReputationRep:
    I have to send £50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella)
    I have to send £50
    It'll cost you 8.75% of £50 to send a £50 postal order.
    £4.37 on top of the £50 I think.
    So, about 60p cheaper than special delivery, but it wont be insured if it goes missing, you wont be able to track it and know when it arrives and it isnt guarenteed to get there next day.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its bascially a cheque if you or the other person doesnt have a bank account.
    Is it not possible to send a cheque? Meh anyway, good luck

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.