Turn on thread page Beta

Absolutely in love with politics - but can it lead me anywhere careerwise? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    Its too late for some of us...journalism and law instead for me methinks.
    omg Cottonmouth you didn't actually kill a ****** did you? Cos I was joking when I told you to do that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    omg Cottonmouth you didn't actually kill a ****** did you? Cos I was joking when I told you to do that!
    I got close, but backeed out. Nah, nothing as sinister as murder. Just stuff that would break the mothers heart, lose me my job etc. She thinks i'm a very good boy, but sometimes i be a very bad boy.....

ReputationRep:
    I know it has something to do with trannies...

ReputationRep:
    I know it has something to do with trannies...
    Fraid not! I don't know any trannies...at least i don't think i do. Lets just say illegal substances, copious sex, and too much video evidence. There might well have been a ****** involved...who knows? I was too drunk and off my head to know what i was putting where and in whom.

ReputationRep:
    Fraid not! I don't know any trannies...at least i don't think i do. Lets just say illegal substances, copious sex, and too much video evidence. There might well have been a ****** involved...who knows? I was too drunk and off my head to know what i was putting where and in whom.
    My new hero...

ReputationRep:
    My new hero...

Well, i'm a classy kind of guy, ya know?

ReputationRep:
    Woah Cottonmouth you're hardcore:eek: . LEGEND!

so, yeah, i pretty much have the long run planned out. thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    one final thing, does anyone know what its like to be an MP?

ReputationRep:
    Do now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopCat06)
    one final thing, does anyone know what its like to be an MP?
    Believe it or not, over 99% of the people with Politics/PPE degrees don't become MPs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Believe it or not, over 99% of the people with Politics/PPE degrees don't become MPs.
    wow, but yeah i can believe that. what are the reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopCat06)
    wow, but yeah i can believe that. what are the reasons?
    Erm, because there are thousands of people getting those degrees each year, while there are only 646 MPs...Getting a politics degree makes you more qualified to help a politician than to be one.

ReputationRep:
    In addition, not everyone with a PPE degree wants to be an MP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_innovator)
    Absolutely in love with politics - but can it lead me anywhere
    Only to misery and cynicism. It is a road I myself have travelled, grasshopper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soc)
    In addition, not everyone with a PPE degree wants to be an MP.
    Though, it seems that everyone (or rather, a large proportion of) Brown's cabinet are PPEists. Mr Brown may not like Oxford, but he certainly likes (a subset of) their graduates. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metropolitan)
    I find it strange when MPs have politics degrees. Why would anybody want to be elected having merely studied the political system but no in-depth analysis of law, economics, history, etc? I think politics degrees are more for analysis/MP secretaries etc
    Is it actually possible to get a politics degree in Britain without taking classes in economics and history?

ReputationRep:
    Is it actually possible to get a politics degree in Britain without taking classes in economics and history?
    Well I have no clue about economics, apart from a very basic understanding, so I'd say yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phawkins1988)
    Though, it seems that everyone (or rather, a large proportion of) Brown's cabinet are/have been PPEists. Mr Brown may not like Oxbridge, but he certainly likes (a subset of) their graduates. :p:
    Haha. He's jealous of Cameron's 1st. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soc)
    Well I have no clue about economics, apart from a very basic understanding, so I'd say yes.
    That's a shame. At least one can't get a degree in International Relations without knowledge of international political economy anymore.

ReputationRep:
    History less so, economics certainly.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.