Is this too much to pay? Watch

ec1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I am currently paying £350 per month to live at home and although this includes everything everyone I've spoken to thinks this is too much for my parents to be asking for from me. What does everyone else think?
Sundous
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's a bit much really :eek: When I started reading I thought you were living by yourself and was asking about the rent :/
Spannerism
Report 11 years ago
That is REDICULOUS, honestly. You can have your own flat including food and utilities at that almost. Your parents must be right cheap scates even asking you to pay to live at home.
ec1
I just don't know though. I'm told that it includes EVERYTHING but still people tell me its waaaaay too much.
supertramp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Er, that is a hell of a lot. My flat is less than that.

Edit: a lot less than that.
Spannerism
Report 11 years ago
It includes facilities... which at worst are lets say £50. Food if you eat lavishly is ABOUT £25 a week, tahts another £100. So thats £200 you have left for rent and thats not necessarily the cheapest you can get. So in the end I say they are cashing in on the fact they are no longer legally obliged to have you with them.
ec1
and people keep saying to me that the whole reason you live at home is so you don't have to pay as much.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are you a student or are you working full-time? If the former, it's too much. If the latter, it's reasonable (and if you don't like it, be an adult and move out).

You can have your own flat including food and utilities at that almost.
Erm... where? That is rather far-fetched.
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Blimey, my parents have always said they would never charge me or my brother rent.

For £350 a month id rather pay a little extra and get a flat with a friend.
Thats alot in my opinion.
£20 a week (so £100 a month max) is all any of my friends pay and most of them pay nothing atall.
ec1
I will be going back to uni next year but for the moment I'm working on the basis of getting extra shifts at my work whilst looking for a full time job. My monthly wage has been no higher than 595 and whilst I've been at this job they've taken 300 from me but once I get a full time 1 they want 350. I would move out but I couldn't afford NOT ti live at home when I go back to uni and could you imagine how bad it would be moving out then coming back?!
ec1
I am currently paying £350 per month to live at home and although this includes everything everyone I've spoken to thinks this is too much for my parents to be asking for from me. What does everyone else think?
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not that bad - it's less than you would pay for a decent room at Uni.
TG777
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Your paying to live at home? Thats madness :|

But how old are you?
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MR 51NGH)
Your paying to live at home? Thats madness :|

But how old are you?
Well assuming they're at Uni, doesn't everyone except the rich and prosperous?
ec1
I'm 18. I wouldnt expect to live here for free just want everones opinions on what they think about the 350 figure.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ec1)
I'm 18. I wouldnt expect to live here for free just want everones opinions on what they think about the 350 figure.
It really depends on your parental income. I'd expect to pay at least 250, but 350 isn't extortionate. If it's too much to ask, maybe you should talk to them about it.
TG777
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ec1)
If you had finished Uni, or were working full time, than fair enough, you should be helping out. However your still a student.

Living at home is meant to be free!

and, how come you have two threads exactly the same? :confused:
ec1
my stepdad earns 42 k a year
TG777
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
42k? He earns like 350 in 2 days.

Expecting you to pay 350 a month to live at home is ludicrous. Unless your parents have taken out a ridiculous mortgage and need help paying it back.
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sounds completely fair to me - I paid around £550 a month for uni accomodation, and then there was extras on top (if you get family meals.etc. thrown in then you have a great deal - although many people may get it better you can't feel bad about that).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1409)
79.65%
Leave (360)
20.35%

Watched Threads