Is this too much to pay? Watch

bunthulhu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ec1)
I am currently paying £350 per month to live at home and although this includes everything everyone I've spoken to thinks this is too much for my parents to be asking for from me. What does everyone else think?
It depends on their financial situation. Either way, if you don't like it then leave, you don't really have a leg to stand on to complain about it.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Spannerism)
That is REDICULOUS, honestly. You can have your own flat including food and utilities at that almost. Your parents must be right cheap scates even asking you to pay to live at home.
and what planet do you live on. Renting alone will cost you in the region of 500 a month, and that DOES NOT inlcude council tax, insurance, gas electric, food, etc etc.

Its a bit more than many parents will charge but not that unreasonable especially from a full time wage. I fork out more than that a month and my rents only 200 a month but i have other things that need paying
Olyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My brother finished uni recently, and he pays £40 a week, i think, which is £160 a month
death_of_a_disco_dancer
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I share a house with five other people. It costs £55 per week and since we're all the sort of people who switch lights off and shiver all winter, utilities don't cost much at all. I spend about £50 a month on food.

It sounds like your parents are charging you rather a lot.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
and what planet do you live on. Renting alone will cost you in the region of 500 a month, and that DOES NOT inlcude council tax, insurance, gas electric, food, etc etc.
That entirely depends on where you're renting.

A room in a nice flat in the West End of Glasgow would cost you say £250pm. It'd probably be less (presuming sharing) in a family-style home in a village or suburb.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
That entirely depends on where you're renting.

A room in a nice flat in the West End of Glasgow would cost you say £250pm. It'd probably be less (presuming sharing) in a family-style home in a village or suburb.
think im moving to glasgow, a one bed flat in brum was advertised at £575 a month exclusive of bills
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
think im moving to glasgow, a one bed flat in brum was advertised at £575 a month exclusive of bills
That's more than my mortgage....city living is clearly ridiculous.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Admittedly one bedroom flats are usually ridiculously priced.
silken1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wouldn't pay that much! Its a ridiculously high amount.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You think that's a lot?! You'd be lucky to find a one bedroom flat in London for less than £200 a week. The average price of a one bedroom in Hackney, even, is £989 a month. £575 sounds pretty good to me.
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmmmm it seems a bit extortionate to me...
I see you're living in edinburgh, so I can't really comment too much with respect to location because I don't know anything about it, but it seems you're paying as much as you would be for living in a flat share (theres no point comparing this to living in a one person flat) without the benefit of independance etc...

Though I guess you are getting food and laundry etc included in that...

Well you can either just carry on and enjoy the comforts of living at home, or perhaps do some research into how much it would cost to move out and see if your parents are ripping you off. If they are, bring it up with them with a breakdown of what you could be paying and see if your parents are willing to budge on their figure. Not many of us can comment properly here because rental prices differ so much accross the country.

I understand the concept of paying rent if you're working and living at home, but IMO it should always be substantially less than the market price because its home after all. Its somewhere you should always feel you are welcome and that there is space for you. That's the philosophy my dad passed on to me anyway
bluedreamer
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:eek: my parents give me that much every month
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bluedreamer)
:eek: my parents give me that much every month
Well lucky you. Your parents must be loaded.
Rutter knows best!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it appears your parents are pimping out your room to you.
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by negated enigma)
it appears your parents are pimping out your room to you.
I don't know why, but this made me laugh uncontrollably
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads