I'm really tempted but worried

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am really tempted to do a masters but I'm also a bit worried about a few things

First of all weather I would be able to keep up and how would I get all the work done?

Second I have a slight psyical disability one of the issues is I often get very painful cramps and ibs that knocks me out for usually a day would I get support for that and how much do you think it would affect my work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If its just 'tempted' then it sounds ;like you haven't really thought out WHY you want to do postgrad.

Re. your disability, don't worry. Every Uni can successfully support a student with a health issue like this, and if you keep on top of your work and make sure you always ahead of deadlines just in case, you should do fine. Make sure the Uni are aware of this on your application, and that your tutor is also once you get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I am really tempted to do a masters but I'm also a bit worried about a few things

First of all weather I would be able to keep up and how would I get all the work done?

Second I have a slight psyical disability one of the issues is I often get very painful cramps and ibs that knocks me out for usually a day would I get support for that and how much do you think it would affect my work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would speak to the course managers at your chosen unis. They will be able give you a good idea of how much work to expect (i have been told 26 hours a week PT over 2 years, distance learning).

Also all unis have support staff there for you- and they will be able to support you in finding a way to juggle the masters and your health.

ReputationRep:
    I would contact student services at potential unis and just ask what sort of support they offer (may be best to go through admissions in case they have a dedicated "disability ambassdor" type for prospective students). As long as you tell them you have disabilities they'll organise an assessment and help you cope with your studies.

If you want to do a taught masters it's worth looking at institutions where recording lectures is the norm (they do this at my new uni) so if you can't go in you can watch them in you own time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)

If you want to do it, you can do it. Presumably you've managed to get an undergraduate degree?

As long as you're not losing too much time (an odd day here and there is unlikely to create any issues) then you should be fine - and you'll get support from student/disability services.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.