how to win with gin?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    as gin is now the real 'in thing' and I have a lot of clients asking for g+t's when they visit so I need to know the following

what are the best gins? (i tried Gordon's and well it was s**t I've been looking at Hendricks)

what to mix them with? (other than tonic and making a martini/negroni)

ReputationRep:
    Hendricks/Beefeater/Tanqueray are all pretty solid for me and available at pretty much any liquor store.

I personally think gin goes pretty well with bitter lemon. Popular chaser options aside from tonic are orange or grapefruit juice and sprite/7up/whatever lemonade drink.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Sydney, so I usually stock up on Archie Rose which is from a local distillery. it's a bit pricey, about $69 to $99 but worth the money.

Gin and Tonic is a classic, but here are some other cocktails I like making:

1. Triple Orange Gin and Tonic - gin, tonic water, orange marmalade, orange bitters, and orange twist (garnish)
    2. Diamond Rose - gin, tonic water, rose flower water, and mint leaves
    3. Orange Blossom - gin, lemon tonic water, orange blossom honey, ice
    4. Gin and Ginger - gin, ginger beer, lime wedge (garnish)

These are very simple to make

ReputationRep:
    I drink Gordons, Hendricks and Portobello Road. We also have Bombay Sapphire at work, which is nice.
    For mixers I'd choose either lemonade or cranberry, can't stand tonic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    I drink Gordons, Hendricks and Portobello Road. We also have Bombay Sapphire at work, which is nice.
    For mixers I'd choose either lemonade or cranberry, can't stand tonic.
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    as gin is now the real 'in thing' and I have a lot of clients asking for g+t's when they visit so I need to know the following

what are the best gins? (i tried Gordon's and well it was s**t I've been looking at Hendricks)

what to mix them with? (other than tonic and making a martini/negroni)
    If you want to be a bit quirky and serve up something that will catch the attention try Silent Pool topped with a chilled Bottle Green Elderflower Pressé and you'll stand out presentation wise. Caorunn and a quality tonic will create a talking point because the garnish is a slice of apple, which is unusual - and Whitley Neil is a fun gin because it smells like perfume.

Avoid mainstream stuff and look for a well packaged drink with an interesting story behind it that you can impress the guest with.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.