Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm moving to uni tomorrow and I can't begin to explain how anxious I am. I know everyone is in the same boat and feels nervous but I feel awful, I'm not at all excited because I'm just so scared and can't stop crying and feeling sick, I have no idea who I'll be living with in halls so that's also adding to the nerves, as well as this I also know I'm going to get very homesick. Has anyone got any advice? Or have any of you been in the same situation as me and ended up having a good time?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You're not helping yourself with the things you just wrote. Even if you do get a panic attack when you move in I doubt you'd be subjected to the kind of ridicule you expect.

ReputationRep:
    I think one thing which could help is 'marginal gains' which is where you do little things which makes a big difference, such as:
    Find your flatmates on Facebook. Prearrange a time when you'll call your mum/dad/best friend /whoeve. Find out how to contact the student support team, you'd be amazed how many other students are contacting them already, they will be able to help. Plan your days so you know what you'll be doing when, if you keep busy then you won't worry as much. Make a list of reasons you want to go to university, think of all the opportunities you'll have to grow as a person,this might be the hardest thing you've ever done but it will show you what you're capable of

If none of this works, just make sure you contact student support, they're there for you at every step
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Engul6)
    I'm moving to uni tomorrow and I can't begin to explain how anxious I am. I know everyone is in the same boat and feels nervous but I feel awful, I'm not at all excited because I'm just so scared and can't stop crying and feeling sick, I have no idea who I'll be living with in halls so that's also adding to the nerves, as well as this I also know I'm going to get very homesick. Has anyone got any advice? Or have any of you been in the same situation as me and ended up having a good time?

Thanks!
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    I think one thing which could help is 'marginal gains' which is where you do little things which makes a big difference, such as:
    Find your flatmates on Facebook. Prearrange a time when you'll call your mum/dad/best friend /whoeve. Find out how to contact the student support team, you'd be amazed how many other students are contacting them already, they will be able to help. Plan your days so you know what you'll be doing when, if you keep busy then you won't worry as much. Make a list of reasons you want to go to university, think of all the opportunities you'll have to grow as a person,this might be the hardest thing you've ever done but it will show you what you're capable of

If none of this works, just make sure you contact student support, they're there for you at every step
    This is brilliant advice

Note down why you applied in the first place - you must have felt motivated by something

Have you spoken to your parents or friends about how you are feeling? Do you know what it is that is making you feel nervous?

Are your friends going to uni too? I'd book in weekends away to visit them and consider booking in a weekend to go home and visit.... maybe in three-four weeks time.

Ultimately if you think you're going to get homesick - you will, because that's your mindset. Try to be more positive, get a plan together with some ideas that will keep you busy. Embracing uni life is the best tonic for homesickness.

Have a read of these I wrote them to help students like you :heart:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...after-freshers

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ead-around-uni

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...weeks-into-uni

Good luck :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    Put together a plan of action for when you move in - e.g. I'm going to put my boxes down, go for lunch with parents, bring home my first food shop then parents will leave, I'll open the door and play some music and leave some chocolates in the kitchen with a note saying 'from room 2'

Try and force yourself to tackle the anxiety at first, it's really important you meet your flatmates and try and keep busy to help with the homesickness and stress and introducing yourself will only get harder the longer you leave it (you could always knock on a few doors while your parents wait in your room if that helps)

arrange to text your parents later in the day to say how you're getting on and schedule a phone call in a few days time, the best thing for homesickness is keeping busy and the worst thing you can do is constantly call/visit - you need to learn how to be happy in your new home

honestly - it's highly unlikely to be as bad as you think and the chances are once you get there your anxiety will start to calm down, the waiting is the worst part
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Engul6)

Thanks!
    Hello ,

When you keep re-thinking these things over and over, it reaffirms your fears and will keep adding to them, I know it's easier said then done, but you're focusing on the negatives. Try and look at the silver linings; you got into university, you're about to study a course you want, at a place you want and meet new people and do new things - think positive!

The whole experience does give a mix of emotions but you'll be okay! It's just about getting there and getting stuck in and before you know it you'll be settled and having a great time! If you get homesick, just call your parents, go out with your flatmates and distract yourself - you'll learn different things!

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.