Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

A level / Pre U Latin Vocabulary

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Would anyone here know why OCR and CIE don't provide word lists for A2 and Pre U Latin, or know where to find a substitute? How can one best prepare for these exams' unseen translations?

tyty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fedoratipbot)
    Hi everyone

Would anyone here know why OCR and CIE don't provide word lists for A2 and Pre U Latin, or know where to find a substitute? How can one best prepare for these exams' unseen translations?

tyty
    The expectation at A2/Pre U Level is that you will have done enough reading of the prescribed unseen writers in order to have built a working vocabulary. The AS wordlist would be a good starting point, but in terms of how to build on that, then make sure you're translating as many unseens as you can from the prescribed authors (if you are sitting OCR A2 in June 2017, then the verse author is Ovid (elegiacs) and the prose author is Livy).

There are numerous collections of unseens out there, but I would particularly recommend 'Ovid Unseens' by Mathew Owen, which has a helpful collection of verse vocab and also a section on scansion.

'Latin Unseen Translation' by Roy Hyde is an older book, but still very useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classics_Teacher)
    The expectation at A2/Pre U Level is that you will have done enough reading of the prescribed unseen writers in order to have built a working vocabulary. The AS wordlist would be a good starting point, but in terms of how to build on that, then make sure you're translating as many unseens as you can from the prescribed authors (if you are sitting OCR A2 in June 2017, then the verse author is Ovid (elegiacs) and the prose author is Livy).

There are numerous collections of unseens out there, but I would particularly recommend 'Ovid Unseens' by Mathew Owen, which has a helpful collection of verse vocab and also a section on scansion.

'Latin Unseen Translation' by Roy Hyde is an older book, but still very useful.
    o ok

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ay yo, my A2 Latin teacher is making us learn the old AQA A2 Latin list, since she says that most of that vocab turns up not-underlined/untranslated on the exam. There's a Memrise course for it, I think!

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.