The Student Room Group

Declaring Grades on UCAS FAQ

NB. This thread has been superceeded by the UCAS FAQ thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75016376&postcount=2

-------

The first rule of declaring grades is:
You MUST declare ALL qualifications you hold - yes, even that random NVQ you took 3 years ago or that GCSE you took early and you did really badly in. It doesn’t matter if you think it’s not relevant. That’s up to the university to decide. Hiding grades and pleading ignorance later is a really bad idea. It can result in you losing your place even after you’ve enrolled at uni. You won’t be rejected - even by a top ten uni - just because of one anomalous poor grade.

All the following must be entered in the Qualifications section of the UCAS form:

All GCSEs graded A* to U (yes, including that embarrassing D for ICT you got in Year 9).

All your AS Levels (A-E, and any U grades). AS levels are now routinely certificated as a qualification in their own right except by a (very) few private schools. Therefore, even if you have taken the full A level in the same subject, or are planning to resit, these AS Level grades need to be declared.

All your A level grades (A*-E, and any U grades).

IB overall score, subjects and levels and points achieved

Any other certificated qualifications, even if they are vocational, or weren’t sat in the UK.

We'll say it again:

Remember that AS levels are a qualification in their own right, even though they can also contribute to achieving the requirements for a full A level. This is why they have to be entered separately.

Entering Resits

If you have completed resits and been awarded a new grade (better or worse) for an individual AS or A level, or IB, or anything else, you need to enter BOTH results.

If you are planning to resit, you need to enter the subject twice, firstly with the original overall grade, and secondly with the overall grade shown as pending. You enter the module details and grades for both, leaving the grade/s for the module/s you plan to resit as pending when you enter the subject for the second time.

Tempted to leave something out or lie?
It is not worth trying to hide things you don't like or don't think look great on your application. by 'forgetting' about them. Doing this is considered fraudulent, and can result in your offer or your place being withdrawn. Additionally, if your results don’t exactly match the ones you’ve entered on your UCAS form, this can cause delays around Results Day - which is something you definitely don’t want!

If you want to know how unis might find out that you've lied and what the consequences might be, check out PQs posts on the subject here and here.

Submitting your UCAS application means that you are confirming that all the information required has been provided, is complete, and accurate. If you make a genuine mistake, you should contact UCAS ASAP at [email protected] and correct it.

U Grades/failed qualifications
U grades at GCSE or A-level or other failed qualifications don't technically count as qualifications, and in the past there has been a lot of debate about whether you need to declare them or not. UCAS advice on this in the past has also been contradictory.

Currently, TSR understands UCAS' position to be that you should declare everything - including U grades or failed qualifications. Although UCAS only states qualifications need to be declared, to avoid any problems, we suggest declaring any exam/qualification you've ever attempted. It's almost as if in some circumstances UCAS views U grades as a qualification.

Module Grades at AS/A-level
TSR's advice on module grades is to declare them, especially if they are good. In general, not declaring them looks like you have something to hide. Whatever you do, either declare them all or none. Most universities seem to prefer actual grades, instead of UMS, so unless a uni you are applying for specifically asks for UMS, you should enter your letter grades. Your referee can mention any outstanding UMS results in your reference.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How To Declare Your Qualifications on UCAS:

Search for them like this:

Then add the grades in a way that seems sensible, or list them as pending:

(edited 8 years ago)
Does it matter if you put 'Physics' or 'Physics A' for GCSE/A Level qualifications? As in, does it make any difference?
Reply 3
Original post by 09ONeillH
Does it matter if you put 'Physics' or 'Physics A' for GCSE/A Level qualifications? As in, does it make any difference?
It is worth putting in the full title as it appears on your results slip and/or certificate. That way there can be no confusion about which syllabus you followed.
This is serious. So there is no way in heck I could avoid declaring my AS results from this year even after resitting them to get an overall grade in A2? I can't believe this lol. I'll just follow the rules to avoid being in trouble. I don't understand though, if someone is resitting and has a new grade in AS that later on contributes to their final A level result, why should the old ones matter as they do not contribute any more?
Original post by Cherry82
This is serious. So there is no way in heck I could avoid declaring my AS results from this year even after resitting them to get an overall grade in A2? I can't believe this lol. I'll just follow the rules to avoid being in trouble. I don't understand though, if someone is resitting and has a new grade in AS that later on contributes to their final A level result, why should the old ones matter as they do not contribute any more?

Nope you have to declare everything, it matters as the universities would want to know if those grades were from your first attempt or not.
Original post by claireestelle
Nope you have to declare everything, it matters as the universities would want to know if those grades were from your first attempt or not.

Sorry for being annoying and persistent but I thought this was mainly essential for courses such as medicine where they would need to know about the information regarding one sitting etc? For courses such as Law, Business management or Economics I thought they don't care.
Reply 7
Original post by 09ONeillH

I am also wondering this. For the record it does not specify on the GCSE certificate.

I also did AQA maths linear B at GCSE (http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/mathematics-linear-b-4365/past-papers-and-mark-schemes) and there isn't a mathematics B (linear) option.
Sorry for being annoying and persistent but I thought this was mainly essential for courses such as medicine where they would need to know about the information regarding one sitting etc? For courses such as Law, Business management or Economics I thought they don't care.

Some universities might look a bit more favourably on if you got the grades on your first sitting, universities do all want to know your full educational history as it gives them the full picture for your application also.

Universities may not care, and in fact they are more likely to care if you leave something off than if you have one or two disappointing AS grades which you've improved via resits.

The rules are in place for a couple of reasons, and if everyone has to declare everything, then at least it is fair. Equally, if people leave off qualifications/resits, it can cause problems matching grades once results come in.

When you apply, UCAS are really clear you need to declare everything- if you don't it is considered fraud, and can have serious consequences for your application.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Universities may not care, and in fact they are more likely to care if you leave something off than if you have one or two disappointing AS grades which you've improved via resits.

The rules are in place for a couple of reasons, and if everyone has to declare everything, then at least it is fair. Equally, if people leave off qualifications/resits, it can cause problems matching grades once results come in.

When you apply, UCAS are really clear you need to declare everything- if you don't it is considered fraud, and can have serious consequences for your application.

Have you any answer to my question above??
Hiya, just a quick question. I've declared all my AS modules and listed AS subjects that I plan to resit twice with one as pending however in the overall A-Level do I need to put in my original mark for the AS modules I plan to resit or put them as pending ?
Ok, I understand. Thanks for the responses. After reading them I will declare everything- including those U grades at AS lol I guess the truth is always best even if it hurts :redface:
Original post by ProcessPrince
Hiya, just a quick question. I've declared all my AS modules and listed AS subjects that I plan to resit twice with one as pending however in the overall A-Level do I need to put in my original mark for the AS modules I plan to resit or put them as pending ?
In the resit entry/ies, leave the module/s you plan to resit with pending grade/s.

Original post by Rabadon
I am also wondering this. For the record it does not specify on the GCSE certificate.

I also did AQA maths linear B at GCSE (http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/mathematics-linear-b-4365/past-papers-and-mark-schemes) and there isn't a mathematics B (linear) option.
Go with what's on your certificate.
Original post by Minerva
In the resit entry/ies, leave the module/s you plan to resit with pending grade/s.

Go with what's on your certificate.

It just says Mathematics although I can look on the AQA website and see the exam I sat and it was mathematics b (linear) 100%.
how do you judge the qualification date? cant enter my results because of this since its not on my candidate sheet which shows my grades
Reply 16
The spoiler has a no longer relevant question (has been answered).

Spoiler

Edit: I took a few music exams (Trinity Guildhall) outside of a school centre and I'm not sure as to how I would input them. How is this possible?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by scrawlx101
how do you judge the qualification date? cant enter my results because of this since its not on my candidate sheet which shows my grades
It is usual to give the month and year you took the exams - eg June 2015, rather than the month in which you got the results.

Original post by Lee R.
The spoiler has a no longer relevant question (has been answered).

Spoiler

Edit: I took a few music exams (Trinity Guildhall) outside of a school centre and I'm not sure as to how I would input them. How is this possible?
You enter the centre where you took the exams giving your attendance as part-time - if it was the same centre for all the exams, put the start date as that of the first exam you took, and the date you took the last exam as the end date. This will then give you the place to enter the actual exam details - date, title, and result. If there were different centres, enter each one individually, with the start and end dates as the date/s of the exam/s.
I dropped history AS level but I'm retaking a module, should I put that in the predicted grades section or ignore this??

Also, Ar gcse, I did a qualification called: Cambridge Nationals OCR for ICT. I can't seem to find this on the ucas form?

Thanks a bunch

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a problem. My school is one of the (very) few that doesn't certificate AS Levels unless you drop them, so how do I go on about declaring the 2 units i'm retaking? So for the only way I think I can do this is by leaving the modules as pending on my A level grades.

Latest