The Student Room Group

Oxford TSA 2017 Applicants Thread (02.11.2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dragoste
#? (answered Greeks take their morality from poetry, something as well as religion) morality and religion question.

#? (answered “nourishing and appealing”) about the food of the prisoners, who don’t eat too much or refuse eating because of the quality / lack of variety of food in prisons.

#? (answer E. customers don’t read the term and conditions) about customer advisers in stores who are misleading the customers into buying products. Answer A. was companies have been fined in the past for misleading customers.

#? (answered that they would recognize those “mis…whatever” facial expressions) asking for the assumption. When meeting in a supermarket, rather than lying and deceiving, tell them straight out that you don’t know who they are otherwise they will recognize you don’t know them because of your facial expressions (which in the argument are called “mis..something”).

#? (answered consumers and charities would lose out) if the 1p coins were to be withdrawn from the circulation, because of the apparent no use, taking too much space, nothing being worth 1 penny etc.

#? (answered because of Africa’s economy and lions/lionesses attacking large cattles?) question about Africa compared to Europe. Argument ended: “Why wouldn’t they?” (like be the same as in Europe, or something). Answer E. was about scarcity and large games. Trying to make sense between A. and E. was a pain.

#44 or #48 (answered the longest answer from the five answers) was with an enormous graph, and what you could infer from it.

Dragoste are these your answers or THE correct answers? BTW i think the way you've formulated question #25 is wrong - it wasn't about what the minimum cost per transaction was, it was what is the cost to check the balance, the one fixed cost they both did. I got 6p for that, D

Do you have a photographic memory? It's pretty amazing how you can remember this much of what you put, and what the questions were.
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone know when the actual paper and answers get released?
#1 (answer D.) main conclusion. Government needs to put measurements into place / must equip or prepare adequately for flooding

# 2 (answer C. 18) odd dart game. Throw 3x and always get exactly 50. Other numbers were 14, 8, 30, 31, 22?

#18 (answer C. 83 km) shortest road through 3 cities then return home. Answer D. was 86 km.

#19 (answer B. 1724) accident statistics, some fatal other not. Quite convoluted with a bunch of numbers and percentages also, but written as a critical thinking question.

#25 (answer C. 4) four coffees and five teas. What was the minimum the drink machine could charge per transaction. Five teas (his friends) = 81 p, four coffees (him/her) = 121 p. Answers were: A.1 B.2 C.4 D.6 E.14.

#26 (answer B. letter W) four geometric forms to give a hexagon? Which one is not part of it.

#35 (answer D.) dice showing letters A,B,C,D,E,F. Answer B. close too.

#38 (answer B. Eve) can’t recall the problem, sad, I know. Answers A. and B. close.

#43 (answer E. Renault, I believe) choosing the model of a car. Engine had to be at least 1.6, thus B. and D. could be eliminated quickly. They wanted a car with four or five doors, however all the cars in the timetable had three doors!! Answers A. Rover (maybe?) and C. Wolkswagen could very well be.

For #25 I'm sure the numbers did not both end in one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lupus360
For #25 I'm sure the numbers did not both end in one. Otherwise the answer could have been A.

I got D, 6p.

Question was - i got 5 coffees for 81p. My friendo got 4 teas for 62p. [we both paid a fixed charge]. What is the minimum value that charge could have taken?

A, 1 B, 2 C, 4 D, 6 E, 14
@notamadman

I was going to make a NB! but you beat me at it. By no means I claim these are the correct answers. I am sure I've got plenty wrong! When I say "answer" or "answered" immediately after the #, or the longer answer, those are simply my answers. Again I claim nothing about the accuracy of what I wrote, so you may very well be right about #25. Please feel free to add and modify (mine above) or discuss the paper, including the ones I remembered. Cheers!
(edited 7 years ago)
For #25 I'm sure the numbers did not both end in one.

Pretty sure they both end in one
Original post by marvellousminty
Does anyone know when the actual paper and answers get released?
Last year it was the end of January iirc, so it'll probably be the same this time too.
Original post by notamadman
I got D, 6p.

Question was - i got 5 coffees for 81p. My friendo got 4 teas for 62p. [we both paid a fixed charge]. What is the minimum value that charge could have taken?

I stand corrected :tongue:
I got D, 6p.

I got the same answer, so I hope we both got it right!!
#1 (answer D.) main conclusion. Government needs to put measurements into place / must equip or prepare adequately for flooding

# 2 (answer C. 18) odd dart game. Throw 3x and always get exactly 50. Other numbers were 14, 8, 30, 31, 22?

#18 (answer C. 83 km) shortest road through 3 cities then return home. Answer D. was 86 km.

#19 (answer B. 1724) accident statistics, some fatal other not. Quite convoluted with a bunch of numbers and percentages also, but written as a critical thinking question.

#25 (answer C. 4) four coffees and five teas. What was the minimum the drink machine could charge per transaction. Five teas (his friends) = 81 p, four coffees (him/her) = 121 p. Answers were: A.1 B.2 C.4 D.6 E.14.

#26 (answer B. letter W) four geometric forms to give a hexagon? Which one is not part of it.

#35 (answer D.) dice showing letters A,B,C,D,E,F. Answer B. close too.

#38 (answer B. Eve) can’t recall the problem, sad, I know. Answers A. and B. close.

#43 (answer E. Renault, I believe) choosing the model of a car. Engine had to be at least 1.6, thus B. and D. could be eliminated quickly. They wanted a car with four or five doors, however all the cars in the timetable had three doors!! Answers A. Rover (maybe?) and C. Wolkswagen could very well be.

For #2 I believe there was a 21 or something. I got 8 I think.
For #26 I must have misread the question or something as I thought it asked to make a rectangle, giving shape V.
There are another few that come to my mind, but please correct me. I crammed in my last day the past papers, so I'm probably mixing yesterday paper with past papers at this point.

#another question about prisoners. Answer was (society) punishes and (doesn't / needs to) (help them) integrate in society?
#CEO of a company? / undergraduates degree wouldn't take non-degree jobs?
#libraries/faculties and prisons, where in libraries the quality lacks in prisons they get all the great facilities for free?
#about shaming or something shameful?

I think I'm losing it, very likely those are not from yesterday's paper!
(edited 7 years ago)
Regarding #25 I am a hundred percent convinced four coffees were 121 p, whereas five teas (his friends) paid 81 p, that's "why" he decided to look into it (AKA come up with that type of problem lol).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 192
Regarding #25 I am a hundred percent convinced four coffees were 121 p, whereas five teas (his friends) paid 81 p, that's "why" he decided to look into it (AKA come up with that type of problem lol).

I think the four coffees were 118p, bc I remember writing 117/4 isn't an integer for 1p
#? (answered Greeks take their morality from poetry, something as well as religion) morality and religion question.

I thought the conclusion of this was why we don't need religion for morality, and the Greeks were used an example of forming morality without religion. I chose the answer that said the Greeks questioned the point of morality. Very possibly wrong.

#? (answered that they would recognize those “mis…whatever” facial expressions) asking for the assumption. When meeting in a supermarket, rather than lying and deceiving, tell them straight out that you don’t know who they are otherwise they will recognize you don’t know them because of your facial expressions (which in the argument are called “mis..something”).

The conclusion was that you should just tell someone know if you don't remember them, so I thought the assumption would be that people would prefer you to be honest rather than to pretend to recognise them. Again, very uncertain.

That's what I got as well :tongue:
Is it possible for people to have done different versions of the paper? It would explain some of the discrepancies in how people are remembering questions.
I thought the conclusion of this was why we don't need religion for morality, and the Greeks were used an example of forming morality without religion. I chose the answer that said the Greeks questioned the point of morality. Very possibly wrong.

The conclusion was that you should just tell someone know if you don't remember them, so I thought the assumption would be that people would prefer you to be honest rather than to pretend to recognise them. Again, very uncertain.

Agree on first point, as the question was what point weakens the argument iirc.
Disagree on the second one, as I'm pretty sure that the the most key assumption was that people would recognise the micro expressions as this is necessary for them to know that you were lying anyways, whereas the second point is lower order to some extent
Is it possible for people to have done different versions of the paper? It would explain some of the discrepancies in how people are remembering questions.

I'm an international applicant so maybe, but I am pretty sure they are all the same
Agree on first point, as the question was what point weakens the argument iirc.
Disagree on the second one, as I'm pretty sure that the the most key assumption was that people would recognise the micro expressions as this is necessary for them to know that you were lying anyways, whereas the second point is lower order to some extent

In regards to the second answer, I was incredibly undecided between my choice and yours, and in hindsight it most likely is your answer.
@Tahret

I am certain that 81 p & 121 p were both in the problem. You say 118 p, someone else said 62 p. Perhaps.. I am just mad at myself that I wasted so long on this problem. I know I tried all five answers and none 81/121 were fully divisible (after you would do the multiplication, substraction and division) with four or five. It seems that correct answer was D. 6p

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending