The Student Room Group

Oxford TSA 2017 Applicants Thread (02.11.2016)

Scroll to see replies

Rejected for PPE at Wadham post interview with:
Problem Solving: 47.7
Critical Thinking: 72.9
Overall: 59.2

Surprised I even got an interview.
Reply 401
Original post by patrickwahins
Rejected for PPE at Wadham post interview with:
Problem Solving: 47.7
Critical Thinking: 72.9
Overall: 59.2

Surprised I even got an interview.

I thought the TSA mixed the problem solving and critical thinking questions into one paper? Why did they separate your scores?
Original post by Hampy
I thought the TSA mixed the problem solving and critical thinking questions into one paper? Why did they separate your scores?

The TSA does mix the questions but you get two different scores and a total.

I imagine it's because the TSA is broadly testing two different things simultaneously.
The planet Melpomene has three moons, Othello, Hamlet and Romeo, each moving at a constant speed in the same direction in circular orbits. Melpomene Othello Hamlet Romeo
Othello takes 20 days to complete one orbit of Melpomene, whereas Hamlet takes 45 days and Romeo takes 120 days.
How often are Melpomene and all three of its moons in line with each other in the order shown in the diagram?
A every 36 days
B every 72 days
C every 132 days
D every 180 days
E every 216 days

Thank you
Original post by patrickwahins
IMG_0440.jpgDoes that make sense? It helps if you visualise it - the top diagram just inputs the data in the passage. Start at a point and then work out what cancels what out. Then draw that in the second diagram and see which option satisfies it.

Shouldn’t Fred pay Bill £100 instead of £50?
how do you practise for the writing test ? and how important is this part for you overall score??
Original post by BenjaminSTR
how do you practise for the writing test ? and how important is this part for you overall score??

Don't know how important it is in terms of score but I got asked about it in my interview last year... so I guess it's not insignificant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Om Dave
Shouldn’t Fred pay Bill £100 instead of £50?

No. When Fred pays Bill 50 quid, then fred owes bill 50 quid, bill owes the other guy 50 quid, and the other guy owes fred 50 quid. Hence a circle is formed where A owes B, B owes C and C owes A ( A B and C being bill fred and the other guy whose name i cannot remember). This is a infinite circle, and in the end it cancels out as each of them owes 50 pounds and is owed 50 pounds. So if fred pays bill 50 quid, then all of them would owe and be owed 50 quid, (50-50=0), so the score would be settled.

Got me too at first... its a tricky question

Anyhow good luck with TSAs! Mine is tomorrow (I live in HK)
Original post by Winnington
No. When Fred pays Bill 50 quid, then fred owes bill 50 quid, bill owes the other guy 50 quid, and the other guy owes fred 50 quid. Hence a circle is formed where A owes B, B owes C and C owes A ( A B and C being bill fred and the other guy whose name i cannot remember). This is a infinite circle, and in the end it cancels out as each of them owes 50 pounds and is owed 50 pounds. So if fred pays bill 50 quid, then all of them would owe and be owed 50 quid, (50-50=0), so the score would be settled.

Got me too at first... its a tricky question

Anyhow good luck with TSAs! Mine is tomorrow (I live in HK)

Thank you for the help; It makes sense now.

Good luck with your exam in HK. Mine is in London tomorrow.
Reply 409
That test was ****
Reply 410
How did everyone find it?
Original post by jt2000
That test was ****

Original post by jt2000
How did everyone find it?

Please remember the TSR rules on discussing the test - not all time zones have sat the test yet so don't discuss specific topics or questions :smile:
Just finished it.... Wasn't sure between 2 options for a few critical thinking questions, and had to guess a few problem solving ones..... Im predicting about 65 marks Wasn't my best paper
Reply 413
Just finished it.... Wasn't sure between 2 options for a few critical thinking questions, and had to guess a few problem solving ones..... Im predicting about 65 marks Wasn't my best paper

Hopefully my score will be consistent with my past papers of 72ish. I think overall that was a hard paper.
Original post by jt2000
Hopefully my score will be consistent with my past papers of 72ish. I think overall that was a hard paper.

72 is quite outstanding for TSA. My average for past papers is about 67, but idk if I got that score today
Reply 415
72 is quite outstanding for TSA. My average for past papers is about 67, but idk if I got that score today

I’m pretty certain I won’t got more than 35 marks. Hopefully that’ll translate to a score of 70ish
Original post by jt2000
I’m pretty certain I won’t got more than 35 marks. Hopefully that’ll translate to a score of 70ish

Look at previous score conversions .... They don't usually change by that much each year.

I normally get 34-36 correct in past papers...... And for that I usually get an average of 66 to 68 marks
when are we allowed to discuss answers on here?
Reply 418
Everyone will have sat the test by now
are we allowed to start an unofficial mark scheme then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending