Would you be annoyed if someone showed up at your door to apologise?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What the title says...

I said some horrible things to this girl on Saturday (alcohol was involved...) A lot of things had also happened that day, which contributed to my mood and how I lashed out when I shouldn't have (I want to explain this.) She isn't replying to messages, so I'm thinking the only way to get in contact would be to actually go to where she lives. Do you think this is a good idea, or would it make her more annoyed with me?

ReputationRep:
    you could maybe take her some flowers/chocolates etc to say sorry ?

ReputationRep:
    Give it time. She'll have to get over it eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Would I be annoyed if someone randomly showed up to apologise? Not at all, it shows they regret what they did and want to make amends.

Thing is not everyone is like that. If you've tried to contact her and she doesn't want to reply then maybe going to her house isn't such a good idea. Put it another way, if you were flirting with someone that clearly wasn't interested would it be alright to just show up at their house?

If she doesn't want to talk to you then odds are it really doesn't matter whether you're there in person or not. But at the same time it really depends on the person and situation. She might be the kind of person that would appreciate seeing you in person to apologise but on the other hand she might just not want to talk to you right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvine001)
    Give it time. She'll have to get over it eventually.
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Would I be annoyed if someone randomly showed up to apologise? Not at all, it shows they regret what they did and want to make amends.

Thing is not everyone is like that. If you've tried to contact her and she doesn't want to reply then maybe going to her house isn't such a good idea. Put it another way, if you were flirting with someone that clearly wasn't interested would it be alright to just show up at their house?

If she doesn't want to talk to you then odds are it really doesn't matter whether you're there in person or not. But at the same time it really depends on the person and situation. She might be the kind of person that would appreciate seeing you in person to apologise but on the other hand she might just not want to talk to you right now.
    So do you recommend that I just leave it and see what happens? But what if she never replies? I wouldn't want to just let go this friendship over something stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Save.Me)
    So do you recommend that I just leave it and see what happens? But what if she never replies? I wouldn't want to just let go this friendship over something stupid.
    This isn't honestly something any of us can tell you what to do. You need to do whatever you think is right.

I would argue that surely if the friendship was that deep and meaningful then 1. You'd have an idea what would be the best course of action (if she needs more time to get over it, you haven't apologised enough, and so on) and 2. The friendship wouldn't be ruined over something small like this.

Some people would expect you to apologise in person, others would happily accept a text. Not replying doesn't mean the end of the world. It's not just as simple as you apologise, you're instantly forgiven and life carries on as if nothing happened.

For me the decent thing to do would be to apologise in person. But maybe I'm a little old fashioned there. To a lot of people, especially younger people, that sort of behaviour would be unusual.

And this doesn't even go into things like what sort of relationship you have, the extent of the damage, misinterpreted signals and so on.

So I guess what I'm saying is do whatever you want. If the friendship is that important to you both then things will work out. If things don't work out then you'll probably learn something anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Save.Me)
    That is precisely what I would do

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.