Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

what do i need to be a trauma surgeon in the uk ?

    • Thread Starter

    ive always wanted to be a trauma surgeon but i do not know what grades i need what courses i should go on , any help would be great .

    To be a surgeon of any sort you need to study Medicine at university. Medicine is incredibly competitive so in order to study it you need the following things. Excellent GCSEs (Sciences are key, especially in order to study Science A-Levels, but you need to get really good GCSEs across the board), excellent A-Levels (Sciences and Maths are favourite but most universities require Chemistry and another lab based Science). You must also sit the admissions tests UKCAT(before applying) and BMAT(after application). In addition it is recommended that you do as much voluntary work and relevant work experience as possible as you will also be assessed on this. Good personal statements are also necessary and a strong interview (if you get that far).

    Have a look here for entry requirements.
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.