Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Verbs - short form?

ReputationRep:
    It might sound like an extremely silly question but I was wondering whether it is acceptable to use short forms in a personal statement. E.g. I'd, I've or wasn't instead of I would, I have, was not.

I'm not native and in school they've told me it's not advisable but I wanted your opinion as well. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave1998)
    It might sound like an extremely silly question but I was wondering whether it is acceptable to use short forms in a personal statement. E.g. I'd, I've or wasn't instead of I would, I have, was not.

I'm not native and in school they've told me it's not advisable but I wanted your opinion as well. Thanks!
    You can use them if you want to but it Is advisable not to. It will read better if you avoid them. If you need to use them to cut down the character count of your personal statement then you have probably written too much and need to cut out the waffle and the adjectives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your help! I've written the complete forms and I'm still 200 characters away from the maximum so I'd say it's okay. Thanks once again for your precious help, I appreciate that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave1998)
    Thank you very much for your help! I've written the complete forms and I'm still 200 characters away from the maximum so I'd say it's okay. Thanks once again for your precious help, I appreciate that
    Focus on the line limit, as you are likely to reach that before the character limit. You should also make sure that you leave whole lines between paragraphs as it makes it A LOT easier to read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Focus on the line limit, as you are likely to reach that before the character limit. You should also make sure that you leave whole lines between paragraphs as it makes it A LOT easier to read
    Does the empty lines count towards the line limit or does UCAS automatically formats it when pasting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyamlim97)
    Does the empty lines count towards the line limit or does UCAS automatically formats it when pasting?
    Yes empty lines count. They don't disappear for admissions tutors and UCAS doesn't add any in

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.