Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've started my first day at uni today and after speaking to other people here i've come to realise im not getting and childcare grant from SFE!! Now i'm in a panic as without it I'm going to have to quit and I cannot afford £650 childcare fee's! even with my partners wage (which is about 20k ish)

What can I do apart from quit?!?!?!

😱😱😱
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Have you talked to SFE?

ReputationRep:
    No i've only just realise and im at uni now. I will ring them when i get back but I assume they have made their decision?!

ReputationRep:
    Did you get to the bottom of this issue?
    • Community Assistant

You definitely wouldn't be eligible for child care grant if your partners income is 20k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mgdz)
    Did you get to the bottom of this issue?
    Well i've had to cut the childcare from monday-friday to 3 shorter days and my sister is having her the rest of the time i'm there, which isnt deal as shes doing an open uni course herself. Oh well! Thanks for asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowers87)
    Well i've had to cut the childcare from monday-friday to 3 shorter days and my sister is having her the rest of the time i'm there, which isnt deal as shes doing an open uni course herself. Oh well! Thanks for asking
    Could you not get the childcare element of tax credits either? Im in the same predicament so im really paniciking .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mgdz)
    Could you not get the childcare element of tax credits either? Im in the same predicament so im really paniciking .
    no we dont get tax credits as they said we earnt too much in the last tax year because of my wages as well, even though i havent worked now in over a year because of college and now uni! lol!
    • Community Assistant

(Original post by mgdz)
    no we dont get tax credits as they said we earnt too much in the last tax year because of my wages as well, even though i havent worked now in over a year because of college and now uni! lol!
    Yeh the household income has to be really really low like under 10k I think *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murpo)
    Yeh the household income has to be really really low like under 10k I think *
    i know 20k is a lot of money but when thats the household income for 2 adults and a child its not a lot left over after paying bills and food etc
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    i know 20k is a lot of money but when thats the household income for 2 adults and a child its not a lot left over after paying bills and food etc
    You'd be getting the full loan plus a bursary from your uni.
    • Community Assistant

I know and I agree 20k isn't a high wage but they don't look at outgoings which I can understand seems unfair but it's just government regulations*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.