The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do... :/ Do I drop sixth form? CAN I drop sixth form? :'(

Hello,

So I've just started sixth form around a week ago, and I've chosen my A-level subjects.

A week in... and I've realized I've made a huge mistake choosing English Literature and Religious Studies as A-levels. I absolutely hate them so much - I'm never going to enjoy these lessons. They are awful.

I've spoken to the year 12 head teacher and she is super rude: she won't even consider me changing my options. She says: "It's too far into the year to change now." I've had literally 5 days to get a taster of the subject....

I've met up with the year 12 head teacher twice now and she is still standing by her decision. I want to quit sixth form completely and get a job or an apprenticeship, but I really enjoy my ICT A-level - I don't want to quit that.

Is there a way I could drop both of my other subjects (English Literature & Religious Studies) and just focus completely on ICT to ensure I get the best grade possible, while taking an apprenticeship or something?

Anyone's suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by m60_
Hello,

So I've just started sixth form around a week ago, and I've chosen my A-level subjects.

A week in... and I've realized I've made a huge mistake choosing English Literature and Religious Studies as A-levels. I absolutely hate them so much - I'm never going to enjoy these lessons. They are awful.

I've spoken to the year 12 head teacher and she is super rude: she won't even consider me changing my options. She says: "It's too far into the year to change now." I've had literally 5 days to get a taster of the subject....

I've met up with the year 12 head teacher twice now and she is still standing by her decision. I want to quit sixth form completely and get a job or an apprenticeship, but I really enjoy my ICT A-level - I don't want to quit that.

Is there a way I could drop both of my other subjects (English Literature & Religious Studies) and just focus completely on ICT to ensure I get the best grade possible, while taking an apprenticeship or something?

Thank you

You wouldn't be able to stay in 6th form with only one A-Level, so yeah you can quit it. You can take up on an apprenticeship if you can find one available for you. In addition, you may be able to study ICT A-Level independently and take up the exams for it as an external student.
Original post by m60_
Hello,

Thank you

Really don't understand that- we've still got time to drop or swap a subject - a few weeks to give us a good idea of what it's like
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
You wouldn't be able to stay in 6th form with only one A-Level, so yeah you can quit it. You can take up on an apprenticeship if you can find one available for you. In addition, you may be able to study ICT A-Level independently and take up the exams for it as an external student.

Is it legal to quit sixth form completely and replace it with an apprenticeship? I've heard somewhere that you need to do at least one full day of education per week or something? PS. Thank you for your response.
Reply 4
Original post by Starlight2000
Really don't understand that- we've still got time to drop or swap a subject - a few weeks to give us a good idea of what it's like

I think it's just my demented head teacher - she's known for being obnoxious.
Original post by m60_
Is it legal to quit sixth form completely and replace it with an apprenticeship? I've heard somewhere that you need to do at least one full day of education per week or something? PS. Thank you for your response.

Of course it's legal. You must stay in education until you are 16, ie during your GCSE's. Anything beyond that is completely up to you.
Reply 6
Of course it's legal. You must stay in education until you are 16, ie during your GCSE's. Anything beyond that is completely up to you.

Oh. Well I never knew that! I hope that's the case; I'll just find an apprenticeship somewhere. Thank you, haha. :smile:

18 actually.

Source; http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2008/25/part/1/chapter/1/crossheading/duty-to-participate-in-education-or-training
Original post by m60_
Oh. Well I never knew that! I hope that's the case; I'll just find an apprenticeship somewhere. Thank you, haha. :smile:

You do have to be 18, not 16 to be out of education as of the 2008 education and skills act; http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2008/25/part/1/chapter/1/crossheading/duty-to-participate-in-education-or-training

However I think that an apprenticeship counts, you can see on this page that "training" counts which means an apprenticeship probably comes under training.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2008/25/section/4
Original post by m60_

You won't be able to leave school to go into a regular job. But if you do vocational training/college/an apprenticeship as an alternative to sixth form until you're 18, that's legal.

Yes but her/his options account for the 'training' clause in the Act "be participating in training in accordance with a contract of apprenticeship" so she can leave 6th form freely if she gets a place in an apprenticeship. What I've said previously I have meant for education within a school/6th form college concerning A-Levels.
Original post by m60_
Hello,

Thank you

Same thing happened to me as well, I was taking maths, biology, economics and psychology and I absolutely hated the sixth form I was going to. They didn't let me change my subjects and I tried to get through this year but I couldn't when I wasn't enjoying 3 subjects. So I left. I'm getting some work experience and voluntary work in for this year and I'm tutoring this year and hopefully going to start another sixth form or college next year. I got a lot of backlash from people especially considering the fact that I got good GCSE grades but if your heart isn't in a subject and your'e feeling mega depressed in that place like I was then I suggest you find an alternative. A gap year between GCSE's and college isn't too bad to be honest because once you advance to uni you'll have a lot more experience giving you a headstart. It also gives you time to value education more and to focus on maybe what career you want to go into or what the right subjects would be for you because I went in blindly unaware of what I wanted to be and I'm trying to take this year to find my interests etc.

So screw what everyone else thinks and think for yourself. Let no-one's opinion sway you because I got a lot of crap for dropping but you educate yourself for no-one but you. And if you're scared of other sixth forms not accepting you they will because I've had chats with headteachers of other sixth forms and they realise that you're more mature. value education more and that you have a lot more experience

Sorry for that rant. hope i helped.

Quick Reply

Latest