Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spanish Dictionary Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please recommend a good Spanish dictionary?

I have a Spanish speaking girlfriend and so this year decided to take a Spanish module as one of my unrestricted choices.

I'm looking for a dictionary which has good examples for the definition to help me understand more. Maybe also like A5 size?

Anyone who has any good first hand experience of a particular dictionary please let me know, as there are so many options when I look on Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    I study Spanish but I have the big unabridged collins dictionary. You won't really find dictionaries that have examples as definitions.. it'll just tell you what the word means, though if it comes up in particular phrases then they'll have those. However, much more likely in the big dictionaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lxbsly)
    Can anyone please recommend a good Spanish dictionary?

I have a Spanish speaking girlfriend and so this year decided to take a Spanish module as one of my unrestricted choices.

I'm looking for a dictionary which has good examples for the definition to help me understand more. Maybe also like A5 size?

Anyone who has any good first hand experience of a particular dictionary please let me know, as there are so many options when I look on Amazon.
    I did Spanish for my GCSE's, and I used an Oxford Spanish dictionary. It was very useful.

ReputationRep:
    I understand examples for every definition is ridiculous. I just mean for common words, or common troublesome words? I thought it was normal for dictionaries to do this. Maybe It is an unrealistic expectation.

Any normal dictionary then? Collins...Oxford...DK etc

ReputationRep:
    I understand examples for every definition is ridiculous. I just mean for common words, or common troublesome words? I thought it was normal for dictionaries to do this. Maybe It is an unrealistic expectation.

Not dictionaries but wordreference is a very good website that gives sentence examples for pretty much every word.

ReputationRep:

I'd go for Collins every time. Collins dictionaries saw me through A levels and a degree in French and Spanish, and I still use them now! For lots of examples of the words in context you'll need to go for the biggest size; an A5 size simply doesn't have the space.

ReputationRep:
    I have a Spanish Pocket Collins dictionary if you'd like to buy one?? I can sell it for a cheap price

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.