Hate University Already!!

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've only been here 3 days and im already struggling to cope. I have had many panic attacks since getting here and my anxiety is so bad that its making me physically sick. It sounds rediculously stupid but im scared to leave my room or do anything. i havent met any of the people in my block and havent spoken to anyone since getting here, i have to wait until everyone has gone to bed to go to the bathroom and i havent even stepped foot in the kitchen, all because i'm too anxious about having to talk to someone if i leave my room. There are 26 people in my block all sharing one kitchen and two bathrooms which means there is always someone about. I am apparently on a waiting list but am still waiting to hear back about moving to an ensuite room and i honestly don't know how to cope with all of this. I missed my science foundation year induction meeting today due to my anxiety making me sick but having missed it is just making my anxiety so much worse.
    It all sounds so stupid and pathetic and its easy enough to just say go and talk to someone or stop being stupid but right now even the thought of opening my bedroom door is enough to start a panic attack.
    If anyone has any advice or can relate i would be extremely greatful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emelye)
    I've only been here 3 days and im already struggling to cope. I have had many panic attacks since getting here and my anxiety is so bad that its making me physically sick.

It sounds ridiculously stupid but im scared to leave my room or do anything. i havent met any of the people in my block and havent spoken to anyone since getting here, i have to wait until everyone has gone to bed to go to the bathroom and i havent even stepped foot in the kitchen, all because i'm too anxious about having to talk to someone if i leave my room. There are 26 people in my block all sharing one kitchen and two bathrooms which means there is always someone about.

I am apparently on a waiting list but am still waiting to hear back about moving to an ensuite room and i honestly don't know how to cope with all of this. I missed my science foundation year induction meeting today due to my anxiety making me sick but having missed it is just making my anxiety so much worse.

It all sounds so stupid and pathetic and its easy enough to just say go and talk to someone or stop being stupid but right now even the thought of opening my bedroom door is enough to start a panic attack.

If anyone has any advice or can relate i would be extremely greatful.
    Hey, this isn't stupid at all because I got an ensuite for similar reasons; with things like anxiety it can be good to have your own space.
    Do you know how to get in contact with your university's mental health counsellors or something like that? You may be able to email them or visit them and they may be able to help you work out what to do as you can explain your situation on a more personal level. It's their job to help people with these kinds of problems so they may be able to help with your ensuite situation or at least give more personalised solutions on what to do.

In the short term, I'd say start small and build your way up. Go to the kitchen just to get a glass of water and then go back to your room. That way if there's someone there all you really have to do is say hi and maybe introduce yourself and then leave again. Don't push yourself too hard, but try little things over time to see if it helps. Even if you just say hello to one person that's a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    Hey, this isn't stupid at all because I got an ensuite for similar reasons; with things like anxiety it can be good to have your own space.
    Do you know how to get in contact with your university's mental health counsellors or something like that? You may be able to email them or visit them and they may be able to help you work out what to do as you can explain your situation on a more personal level. It's their job to help people with these kinds of problems so they may be able to help with your ensuite situation or at least give more personalised solutions on what to do.

In the short term, I'd say start small and build your way up. Go to the kitchen just to get a glass of water and then go back to your room. That way if there's someone there all you really have to do is say hi and maybe introduce yourself and then leave again. Don't push yourself too hard, but try little things over time to see if it helps. Even if you just say hello to one person that's a start.
    Thanks for your kind words. I have thought about contacting the mental health support team but i wouldnt know what to say and even the thought of talking to someone about it makes me want to run 20 miles in the opposite direction. Before i left the staff at my sixth form suggested i applied for DSA but i was so set against anyone knowing that kind of information about me that i decided not to.

I keep trying to push myself to go out there and talk to someone but i just cant seem to do it and the longer i take the more anxious im getting about it. I'm worried that if i go out there and someone does speak to me i'll jus freee up and look really stupid. The frustrating thing about anxiety is that you have to get past it in order to get help with it if that makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your kind words. I have thought about contacting the mental health support team but i wouldnt know what to say and even the thought of talking to someone about it makes me want to run 20 miles in the opposite direction. Before i left the staff at my sixth form suggested i applied for DSA but i was so set against anyone knowing that kind of information about me that i decided not to.

I keep trying to push myself to go out there and talk to someone but i just cant seem to do it and the longer i take the more anxious im getting about it. I'm worried that if i go out there and someone does speak to me i'll just freeze up and look really stupid. The frustrating thing about anxiety is that you have to get past it in order to get help with it if that makes any sense.
    Yeah, I do get what you mean, I'm very closed with that kind of information myself so I know it can be hard. Is there maybe anyone who already knows (parents, friends from back home etc.) that could maybe contact the support team on your behalf? Just to find out if there's anything the uni can do to help you without you having to speak to someone about it? Sometimes the hardest part about situations people are nervous about is the anticipation and starting it, so if there's someone who could help you take the first few steps it might be helpful.

The problem here is that you're focused on what could go wrong, but maybe if you tried to focus on what could go right (you don't freeze, or even no one is around/speaks) it could calm you down enough to try at some point? It's hard to give advice for this because I know how hard it can be to actually put this into practice when you're anxious, but now is probably the best time to try to meet at least one or two of your flatmates because it's the time when most people want to make as many new friends as possible so its probably unlikely anyone will be anything but nice and sociable.

If you try the getting a glass of water thing, if someone tries to say hi and you freeze just try to smile and nod your head in greeting then continue getting your drink. By doing that you kind of show you don't want to talk but are not completely cutting the other person off, so it may work best in the long run.

ReputationRep:

I keep trying to push myself to go out there and talk to someone but i just cant seem to do it and the longer i take the more anxious im getting about it. I'm worried that if i go out there and someone does speak to me i'll jus freee up and look really stupid. The frustrating thing about anxiety is that you have to get past it in order to get help with it if that makes any sense.
    I would absolutely encourage you to contact your university's mental health support team. You've managed to articulate yourself brilliantly here so this is exactly the kind of thing you need to tell them. I completely understand that it's difficult to open yourself up to them (as you've said perfectly, "you have to get past it in order to get help with it") but it's just something you have to force yourself to do because once you do, there will be support structures in place that you can access and you will find it easier to get help in the future. You've got to try to remember that these are trained professionals you're talking to. You're not going to look stupid in front of them and they will help you out.

+1 to what Plagio said, get in contact with your Unis mental health unit. Uni cnat work for you on the current basis as there will alwaus be people in your flat and on your course that you need to speak to. You are either going to be able to deal with it at Uni or if not then you need to go away and deal with it.

If you just bite the bullet and start interacting then it gets easier. Not sure ensuite is the answer becayse it could just encurage you to be even more isolated.

You must have had this issue at school and been able to manage? If you could do it there then you cna manage to deal with it at Uni, especially if you get the right support and training..

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.