Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is 4.997 x 10^5 a radio wave? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Literally have no idea what I'm doing here. Been searching for God knows how long trying to get a slight idea about this.

My question is:

The frequency of an electromagnetic wave is measure to be 4.997 x 10^5 (it also has 's^-1' after it if that makes any difference)

What type of electromagnetic wave is it?

Helllllllppppppp! Any advice would be great, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Assume that the wave travels at the speed of light and then use the equation v=f\lambda to find the wavelength. Then you should be able to see the type of electromagnetic wave from a wavelength spectrum or you may know roughly how each wavelength corresponds to each type of EM radiation
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by givemeknowledge)
    Literally have no idea what I'm doing here. Been searching for God knows how long trying to get a slight idea about this.

My question is:

The frequency of an electromagnetic wave is measure to be 4.997 x 10^5 (it also has 's^-1' after it if that makes any difference)

What type of electromagnetic wave is it?

Helllllllppppppp! Any advice would be great, thanks!
    \rm f =4.997 \rm x 10^{5}\ Hz = 0.4997\ MHz = 499.7\ kHz

\lambda = \frac{v}{f} = \frac{300 \rm x10^{6}}{0.4997 \rm x 10^6} = 600.36 \rm\ Metres

600 metres wavelength is between the Low and Medium Wave radio frequency wavelengths.

495kHz to 505kHz is reserved for civil maritime mobile radio communications within the UK and EU.

UK185 Ofcom may licence stations in the Maritime
    Mobile service in this band.

EU1 Commission Decisions 2006/771/EC,
    2008/432/EC, 2009/381/EC, 2010/368/EU and
    2011/829/EU (harmonised use of spectrum for
    short range devices (SRDs)) applies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.